Raman scattering of vibrational overtones in deuterium at high pressures
- 29 Downloads
We report observations of the Raman-active vibrational overtone in normal deuterium at 77K and pressures up to 36.4 GPa (1 GPa = 104 bar). We observed a sharp Q2(J) line corresponding to the v=2←0, ΔJ=0, k=0, Δk=0 transition and a broad Q1(J)+Q'1(J) band corresponding to v,v'=1←0, ΔJ=0, k≈-k' transitions. The selection rules for the Q1(J)+Q'1(J) manifold allowed us to measure the joint density of states of the manifold which we compared to a theoretical density of states for the v=1 vibrational band.
KeywordsManifold High Pressure Deuterium Magnetic Material Selection Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Van Kranendonk,Solid Hydrogen, (Plenum, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 2.D.M. Brown and W.B. Daniels, Phys. Rev. A,45, 6429 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.P. Loubeyre, R. LeToullec, and J.P. Pinceaux, Phys. Rev. B,45, 12844 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.I.F. Silvera, S.J. Jeon, and H.E. Lorenzana, Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Hanfland, R.J. Hemley, H.K. Mao, and G.P. Williams, Submitted for Publication.Google Scholar
- 6.R.J. Hemley and H.K. Mao, Annu. Rep. Director Geophys. Lab., Carnegie Instn. Washington, 1990–1991, 141 (1991).Google Scholar