Analytical investigation of non-linear stability of the Lagrangian pointL4 around the commensurability 1:2
- 39 Downloads
The problem of stability of the Lagrangian pointL4 in the circular restricted problem of three bodies is investigated close to the 1 : 2 commensurability of the long and short period libration. By stability we define boundedness of the solution for a given initial finite displacement from the equilibrium point as function of the mass parameter μ close to the commensurability. A rigorous treatment close to the resonance condition is possible using a transformation that diagonalizes the matrix related to the linear part of the equations of motion. The so obtained equations are further transformed to action angle type variables. Then using an isolated resonance approach, only the slowly varying terms are kept in the equations and two independent isolating first integrals can be found. These integrals finally enable us to solve the stability problem in an exact way. The so obtained results are compared to numeric integration of the equations of motion and are found to be in perfect agreement.
Key wordsRestricted three body problem Lagrangian points resonances stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alfriend, K.: 1970, ‘The Stability of the Triangular Libration Points for Commensurability of Order Two’,Celest. Mech. 1, 351–359.Google Scholar
- Celletti, A. and Giorgilli, A.: 1991, ‘On the Stability of the Lagrangian Points in the Spatial Restricted Problem of Three Bodies’,Celest. Mech.,50, 31–58.Google Scholar
- Deprit, A.: 1965, ‘Routh's Critical Mass Ratio at the Triangular Libration Centers’,AIAA Paper 65–681.Google Scholar
- Guignard, G.:, 1978, ‘General Treatment of Resonances in Accelerators’,CERN 78-11 Google Scholar
- Guignard, G.:, 1989, ‘Nonlinear Dynamics’, inPhysics of Particle Accelerators, AIP Conf. Proc. 184,1, pp. 822–890.Google Scholar
- Hagel, J.: 1994,Proc. Int. Colloquium and Workshop on Perturbation Theory and Chaos in Nonlinear Dynamics with Emphasis to Celestial Mechanics, Universidade da Madeira, Funchal, Portugal.Google Scholar
- Lohinger, E. and Dvorak, R.: 1993, ‘Stability Region aroundL 4 in the Elliptic Restricted Problem’,Astron. Astrophys. 280, 683–687.Google Scholar
- Stumpff, K.: 1965,Himmelsmechanik, Vol. 2, VEB deutscher Verlag der Wissenschaften, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Tuckness, D. G.: 1995, ‘Position and Velocity Sensitivities at the Triangular Libration Points’,Celest. Mech. 61 1–19.Google Scholar
- Wolfram, S.:Mathematica, A System for Doing Mathematics on a Computer, 2nd edn., Addison Wesley, 1991.Google Scholar