The influence of3He on the wetting of4He to a cesiated substrate
- 19 Downloads
We report preliminary measurements of the influence of 3 He in the adsorption of 4 He to a cesiated substrate by the use of quartz crystal resonance techniques. When compared with the case of pure 4 He, the presence of 3 He in the apparatus induces the wetting of the mixture film to Cesium at low temperatures. The wetting is hysteretic, beginning at a concentration-dependent Tc on cooling with continued wetting for T>Tc on warming. The temperatures Tc are given as a function of the total concentration of 3 He in the apparatus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Cheng, M.W. Cole, W. Saam and J. Treiner, Phys. Rev. Letters67, 1007 (1991); Phys. Rev. B46, 13967 (1992); and the erratum47, 14661 (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.P.J. Nacher and J. Dupont-Roc, Phys. Rev. Letters67, 2966 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.K.S. Ketola and R.B. Hallock, Phys. Rev. Letters68, 201 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.S.K. Mukherjee, D.P. Druist and M.H.W. Chan, J. Low Temp. Phys.87, 113 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Rutledge and P. Taborek, Phys. Rev. Letters68, 2184 (1992); P. Taborek and J. Rutledge, Phys. Rev. Letters69, 937 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.M.S. Pettersen and W.F. Saam, J. Low Temp. Phys.90, 159 (1993).Google Scholar
- 7.N. Pavloff and J. Treiner, J. Low Temp. Phys.83, 331 (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.M.J. Lea, P. Fozooni and P.W. Retz, J. Low Temp. Phys.54, 303 (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Kosterlitz and D.J. Thouless, J. Phys. C6, 1181 (1973); D.R. Nelson and J.M. Kosterlitz, Phys. Rev. Letters39, 1201 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.A direct measurement of this sort of condensation by capacitance techniques has been made previously; F.M. Ellis, J.S. Brooks and R.B. Hallock, J. Low Temp. Phys.56, 69 (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.To date we have only acquired first harmonic data for the case shown in figures 4 and 5.Google Scholar