Skeletal muscle pathology of mannosidosis in two siblings with spastic paraplegia
- 28 Downloads
Deficiency of α-d-mannosidase was found in two siblings with muscle weakness and spastic paraplegia. A biopsy of the vastus lateralis muscle was studied by light and electron microscopy. Cryostat sections showed mild fiber size variation but no necrosis. Semithin Epon sections revealed many vacuoles in the muscle cells and fibroblasts. Electron microscopy showed that the vacuoles, presumably lysosomal, had a single limiting membrane and contained finely granular or granulo-reticular material, membranous structures, and electron-dense ovoids. The vacuoles were identical with those in lymphocytes and other cells of patients with mannosidosis. Disorganization of sarcomere alignment and widening of intermyofibrillar spaces were also observed. Deficiency of α-d-mannosidase is considered to cause slowly progressing degeneration of muscle fibers.
Key wordsMannosidosis Muscle pathology Lysosome Vacuole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chester MA, Lundblod A, öckerman P-A, Autio S (1982) Mannosidosis. In: Durand P, O'Brien JS (eds) Genetic errors of glycoprotein metabolism. Ermes, Milano, pp 89–122Google Scholar
- Dickersin GR, Lott IT, Kolodny EH, Dvorak AM (1980) A light and electron microscope study of mannosidosis. Human Pathol 11:245–256Google Scholar
- Libert J (1980) Diagnosis of lysosomal storage diseases by the ultrastructural study of conjunctival biopsies. Pathol Annu 15:37–66Google Scholar
- Halperin JJ, Landis DMD, Weinsterin LA, Lott IT, Kolodny EH (1984) Communicating hydrocephalus and lysosomal inclusions in mannosidosis. Arch Neurol 41:777–779Google Scholar
- Hindman J, Cotlier E (1972) Glycosidases in normal human leukocytes and abnormalities in GM1-gangliosidosis. Clin Chem 18:971–975Google Scholar
- Mitchell ML, Erickson RP, Schmid D, Hieber V, Poznanski AK, Hicks SP (1981) Mannosidosis: two brothers with different degrees of disease severity. Clin Genet 20:191–202Google Scholar
- Monus Z, Konyar E, Szabo L (1977) Histomorphologic and histochemical investigations in mannosidosis. A light- and electron-microscopic study. Virchows Arch [Cell Pathol] 26:159–173Google Scholar
- Öckerman PA (1967) A generalized storage disorder resembling Hurler's syndrome. Lancet II:239–241Google Scholar
- Sung JH, Hayano M, Desnick RJ (1977) Mannosidosis: pathology of the nervous system. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 36:807–820Google Scholar
- Yamano T, Shimada M, Okada S, Yutaka T, Yabuuchi H, Mitsudome A, Itsuki S (1981) Electron microscopy of conjunctival biopsy in mannosidosis. Neurology 31:630–632.Google Scholar