Ultrastructural changes of skeletal muscles in polyarteritis nodosa and in arteritis associated with rheumatoid arthritis
- 54 Downloads
Muscle biopsies from two cases of polyarteritis nodosa (PN) and one of arteritis in association with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) were examined by electron microscopy.
The histological changes were similar in all three cases. The endothelial cells of the small blood vessels were often hypertrophied. Inflammatory reaction was present mainly in the vicinity of the blood vessels. Individual muscle fibres showed mostly nonspecific degenerative changes. In a case of PN, however, annulate lamellae were present in a small number of the muscle fibres. The annulate lamellae have been reported, to our knowledge, in the human skeletal muscles only in a few cases of polymyositis. In addition, two cases, one of PN and one of arteritis with RA, showed fine filamentous inclusions in the muscle fibres. Changes were also noted in the motor end-plate.
A sural nerve biopsy in a case of arteritis with RA showed changes both in axons and myelin sheaths, in addition to the changes in the blood vessels similar to those in the muscle.
Key wordsMuscle changes Polyarteritis nodosa Rheumatoid arthritis Annulate lamellae Nerve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Awad EA (1971) Muscle biopsy at motor point in polyarteritis nodosa. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 52:298–305Google Scholar
- Beckett VL, Dinn JJ (1972) Segmental demyelination in rheumatoid arthritis. QJ Med 41:71–80Google Scholar
- Chou SM (1968) Myxovirus-like structures and accompanying nuclear changes in chronic polymyositis. Arch Path 86:649–658Google Scholar
- Cruickshank B (1954) The arteritis of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 13:136–146Google Scholar
- Dyck PJ, Conn DL, Okazaki H (1972) Necrotizing angiopathic neuropathy. Three-dimensional morphology of fiber degeneration related to sites of occluded vessels. Mayo Clin Proc 47:461–475Google Scholar
- Glass D, Soter NA, Schur PH (1976) Rheumatic vasculitis. Arthritis Rheum 19:950–952Google Scholar
- Harriman DGF (1976) A comparison of the fine structure of motor end-plates in Duchenne dystrophy and in human neurogenic diseases. J Neurol Sci 28:233–247Google Scholar
- Haslock DI, Wright V, Harriman DGF (1970) Neuromuscular disorders in rheumatoid arthritis. Q J Med 39:335–358Google Scholar
- Kessel RG (1968) Annulate lamellae. J Ultrastruct Res [Suppl] 10:1–82Google Scholar
- Magyar E, Talerman A, Mohácsy J, Wouters HW, de Bruijn WC (1977) Muscle changes in rheumatoid arthritis. A review of the literature with a study of 100 cases. Virchows Arch [Pathol Anat] 373:267–278Google Scholar
- Matsubara S (1978) Ultrastructural changes in polymyositis and related disorders. PhD Thesis, London UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Matsubara S, Mair WGP (1978) Polymyositis and related disorders: Ultrastructural changes in the muscle fibres and intramuscular nerves. In: Abstract of the VIIIth International Congress of Neuropathology, Washington, DC, p 656Google Scholar
- Matsubara S, Mair WGP (1979) Ultrastructural changes in polymyositis. Brain 102:701–725Google Scholar
- Pearson CM, Currie S (1974) Polymyositis and related disorders. In: Walton JN (ed) Disorders of voluntary muscle, 3rd edn. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh London, pp 614–652Google Scholar
- Radnai B (1969) Comparative morphology of small vessel lesions in rheumatoid arthritis and periarteritis nodosa. Acta Morphol Acad Sci Hung 17:69–79Google Scholar
- Schmid FR, Cooper NS, Ziff M, McEwan C (1961) Arteritis in rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Med 30:56–83Google Scholar
- Sokoloff L, Bunim JJ (1957) Vascular lesions in rheumatoid arthritis. J Chronic Dis 5:668–687Google Scholar
- Sokoloff L, Wilens SL, Bunim JJ (1951) Arteritis of striated muscle in rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Pathol 27:157–173Google Scholar
- Wallace SL, Lattes R, Ragan C (1958) Diagnostic significance of the muscle biopsy. Am J Med 25:600–610Google Scholar
- Weller RO, Bruckner FE, Chamberlain MA (1970) Rheumatoid neuropathy: A histological and electrophysiological study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 33:592–604Google Scholar
- Wischnitzer S (1970) The annulate lamellae. Int Rev Cytol 27:65–100Google Scholar