Immunohistochemical studies on cellular character of microtumors induced by ethylnitrosourea in the rat brain utilizing anti-leu 7 and anti-glial fibrillary acidic protein antibodies
- 20 Downloads
To clarify the chronologic changes in the cellular morphology of ENU-induced rat brain tumors, microtumors in the early stage were examined ummunohistochemically in comparison with macrotumors in the advanced stage. The tumor cells composing microtumors were negative for glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), a specific marker of astrocylic cells, and Leu 7, a marker of oligodendrocytes, while cells of macrotumors were positive for either GFAP or Leu 7, showing characteristics of mature glial cells. The results suggested that the small round cells in the early devolopmental stage, generally thought to resemble mature oligodendrocytes, are not differentiated oligodendrocytes or astrocytes.
Key wordsRat ENU Brain tumor Anti-Leu 7 GFAP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Druckrey H, Ivankovic S, Preussmann R (1966) Teratogenic and carcinogenic effects in the offspring after single injection of ethylnitrosourea to pregnant rats. Nature 210:1378–1379Google Scholar
- 2.Jänisch W, Rath FW (1979) Early stages of brain tumor development in experimental chemical carcinogenesis. Prog Neuropathol 4:215–233Google Scholar
- 3.Lantos PL, Pilkington GJ (1979) The development of experimental brain tumors; A sequential light and electron microscope study of the subependymal plate. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 45:167–175Google Scholar
- 4.Motoi M, Yoshino T, Hayashi K, Nose S, Horie Y, Ogawa K (1985) Immunohistochemical demonstration of a marker detected with anti-Leu 7 monoclonal antibody in paraffinembedded specimens from human oligodendroglioma. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) (in press)Google Scholar
- 5.Schiffer D, Giordana MT, Pezzotta S, Lechner C, Paoletti P (1978) Cerebral tumors induced by transplacental ENU; Study of the different tumoral stages, particularly of early proliferations. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 41: 27–31Google Scholar
- 6.Schuller-Petrovic S, Gebhart W, Lassemann H, Rumpold H, Kraft D (1983) A shared antigenic determinant between natural killer cells and nervous tissue. Nature 306:179–181Google Scholar