An evaluation of integration procedures for improving the precision of a.c. polarography
- 24 Downloads
Two integration procedures for improving the precision of a.c. polarography have been studied. Both methods are single electrode techniques and involve integration of the rectified a.c. current over the complete peak or at the peak potential respectively. The time integration procedure was found to be seriously influenced by small variations in the reference electrode potential and applied voltage, resulting in poor reproducibility between different samples. In the area integration procedure, however, where the accurate control of potential is less critical, the standard deviation between replicate samples was found to be within the statistically expected limits and this method was therefore preferred. Standard deviations were measured for a range of inorganic and organic species and typical values of ±0.25% at the optimum concentration level (4.10−4M) were obtained.
KeywordsReference Electrode Concentration Level Applied Voltage Small Variation Time Integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. P. Perone, J. E. Harrar, F. B. Stephens, and R. E. Anderson,Anal. Chem.,40 (1968) 899.Google Scholar
- F. B. Stephens and J. E. Harrar,Chem. lustrum.,1 (1968) 169.Google Scholar
- J. J. Lingane,Anal. Chim. Acta,44 (1969) 411.Google Scholar
- K. Matsuda and R. Tamamushi,Bull. Chem. Soc. Jap.,42 (1969) 439.Google Scholar
- G. C. Barker and R. L. Faircloth,J. Polarographic Soc.,1 (1958) 11.Google Scholar
- R. C. Rooney, ‘Joint Symposium on Accurate Methods of Analysis for Major Constituents’, S.A.C. London, April 3–4th 1970.Google Scholar
- D. E. Smith, ‘Electroanalytical Chemistry’, Vol. 1. Ed. A. J. Bard, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- General Electric Company, U.S.A., Transistor Manual, 7th Ed. (1964) pp. 232 and 346.Google Scholar
- B. Fleet and R. D. Jee,Talanta,16 (1969) 1561.Google Scholar
- B. Fleet and R. D. Jee,J. Electroanal. Chem.,25 (1970) 397.Google Scholar
- B. Fleet and R. D. Jee,ibid.,25 (1970) 289.Google Scholar