Intrathecal administration of etoposide in the treatment of malignant meningitis: feasibility and pharmacokinetic data
Two patients presenting with malignant meningitis resulting from small-cell carcinoma of the lung and with lymphoblastic leukemia, respectively, were treated by intrathecal administration of etoposide. In both cases, this treatment was well tolerated and produced relief of the central nervous system symptoms. Pharmacokinetic data showed that cerebrospinal fluid drug levels of up to 5.2 μg/ml were achieved, which were considerably higher than those obtained after i.v. administration of high-dose etoposide.
KeywordsCarcinoma Nervous System Central Nervous System Leukemia Cancer Research
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bleyer WA, Poplack DG (1985) Prophylaxis and treatment of leukemia in the central nervous system and other sanctuaries. Semin Oncol 12: 131Google Scholar
- 2.Hitchins RN, Bell DR, Woods RL, Levi JA (1987) A prospective randomized trial of single-agent versus combination chemotherapy in meningeal carcinomatosis. J Clin Oncol 5: 1655Google Scholar
- 3.Holthuis JJM, Postmus PE, Oort WJ van, Hulshoff B, Verleun H, Sleyfer DT, Mulder NH (1986) Pharmacokinetics of high dose etoposide (VP 16-213). Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 22: 1149Google Scholar
- 4.Lee JS, Murphy WK, Glisson BS, Dhingra HM, Holoye PY, Hong WK (1989) Primary chemotherapy of brain metastasis in small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 7: 916Google Scholar
- 5.Postmus PE, Holthuis JJM, Haaxma-Reiche H, Mulder NH, Vencken LM, Oort WJ van, Sleijfer DT, Sluiter HJ (1984) Penetration of VP 16-213 into cerebrospinal fluid after high-dose intravenous administration. J Clin Oncol 2: 215Google Scholar
- 6.Twelves CJ, Souhami RL, Harper PG, Ash CM, Spiro SG, Earl HM, Tobias JS, Quinn H, Geddes DM (1990) The response of cerebral metastases in small cell lung cancer to systemic chemotherapy. Br J Cancer 61: 147Google Scholar
- 7.Viens P, Lagrange J, Thyss A, Ayela P, Frenay M, Schneider M (1988) Brain metastases of lung cancer: excessive toxicity of high dose VP 16 213. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 24: 1905Google Scholar
- 8.Wasserstrom WR, Glass PJ, Posner JB (1982) Diagnosis and treatment of leptomeningeal metastases from solid tumors. Cancer 49: 759Google Scholar