Cosmology and celestial mechanics
- 26 Downloads
The similarities between cosmology and celestial mechanics are discussed from the scientific and historical points of view and the scientific aims of these two fields are compared. Newton's and Poincaré's contributions to celestial mechanics, dynamics, and cosmology are presented. The recently established instability of triple stellar configurations is discussed to relate results of this classical, nonintegrable problem of celestial mechanics to cosmology and to offer an example for “order out of chaos.” It is shown that the presently emphasized reasons for limited predictability in dynamical systems are closely related to some of the existing basic difficulties in cosmology.
KeywordsDynamical System Field Theory Elementary Particle Quantum Field Theory Celestial Mechanic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Birkhoff, G. D. (1927).Dynamical Systems, American Mathematical Society Publications, Providence, Rhode Island.Google Scholar
- Chazy, J. (1929). Sur d'Allure finale du mouvement dans le problème des trois corps,Journal de Mathématiques Pures et Appliquées, (9),8, 353 (1929).Google Scholar
- Lighthill, J. (1986). The recently recognized failure of predictability in Newtonian dynamics,Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A,407, 35 (1986).Google Scholar
- Prigogine, I., and Stengers, I. (1984).Order out of Chaos, Heinemann, London.Google Scholar
- Shapley, H., ed. (1960).Source Book in Astronomy, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- Szebehely, V. (1973). Recent advances in the problem of three bodies, inProceedings Recent Advances in Dynamical Astronomy, p. 75, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Thompson, J. M. (1988). ThePrincipia and contemporary mechanics: Chaotic dynamics and the new unpredictability,Notes of Records of the Royal Society of London,42, 97.Google Scholar
- Turnbull, H. W., ed. (1961).The Correspondence of Isaac Newton, Vol. III, 1688–1694, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Weinberg, S. (1977).The First Three Minutes, Bantam Books, New York.Google Scholar