Relationship between staining by digital subtraction angiography and vascularity in breast cancer: Analysis of the time-density curve and the results of staining for factor VIII-related antigen/von Willebrand factor
- 14 Downloads
We performed intravenous digital subtraction angiography (IV-DSA) in 31 patients with primary invasive breast cancer, and calculated the maximum density of tumor staining from the time-density curve obtained. Specimens resected from the same patients were stained for factor VIII-related antigen/von Willebrand factor (vWF), and the amount of microvessels was calculated by image processing. A significant correlation (correlation coefficient: 0.85) was found between the maximum density of tumor staining and the vascularity determined by staining for vWF, indicating that the maximum density indirectly reflects the vascularity in the tumor.
Key wordsDSA for breast cancer factor VIII-related antigen/von Willebrand factor angiogenesis vascularity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Watt AC, Ackerman LV, Shetty PCet al.: Breast lesions: differential diagnosis using digital subtraction angiography. Radiology 159: 39–42, 1986Google Scholar
- 2.Watanabe O, Haga S, Kobayashi K, Ishibashi K, Kinoshita H, Imamura H, Iida T, Shimizu T, Kumazawa K, Kajiwara T, Yamada T: Digital subtraction angiography for breast canceranalysis of the time density curve. Jpn J Breast Cancer 7: 582–586, 1992 (Abstract in English)Google Scholar
- 3.Mukai K, Rosai J, Burgdorf WHC: Localization of factor VIII-related antigen in vascular endothelial cells using immunoperoxidase method. Am J Surg Pathol 4: 273–276, 1984Google Scholar
- 4.Weidner N, Semple JP, Welch WR, Folkman J: Tumor angiogenesis and metastasis - correlation in invasive breast carcinoma. N Engl J Med 324: 1–8, 1991Google Scholar
- 5.Folkman J: What is the role of endothelial cells in angiogenesis? Lab Invest 51: 601–604, 1984Google Scholar
- 6.Sehested M, Hou-Jense K: Factor VIII related antigen as an endothelial cell marker in benign and malignant diseases. Virchow Arch [Pathol Anat] 391: 217–225, 1981Google Scholar
- 7.Ohtani H, Sasano N: Characterization of micro-vasculature in the stroma of human colorectal carcinoma: an immunoelectron microscopic study on factor VIII/von Willebrand factor. J Electron Microsc 36: 204–364, 1989Google Scholar
- 8.Beckstead JH, Wood GS, Fletcher V: Evidence for the origin of Kaposi's sarcoma from lymphatic endothelium. Virchows Arch [Pathol Anat] 391: 217–225, 1981Google Scholar
- 9.Kato T, Kimura T, Muraki H, Kamio T, Fujii A, Yamamoto K, Hamano K, Hirayama A: Studies of pathological factors and blood vessel invasion by using the immunoperoxidase technique for factor VIII related antigen in breast cancer. J Jpn Soc Clin Surg 51: 1397–1403, 1990 (Abstract in English)Google Scholar