Meteorological factors associated with floods in the north-eastern part of the Iberian Peninsula
- 63 Downloads
The main meteorological features of catastrophic rainfall events in Catalonia are described. Data come from several sources listed in the text. Surface and upper air synoptic and some subsynoptic conditions under which these events occur are described. Two kinds of events are identified, depending on the amount of forced lift required to release potential instability: Type A events, which take place on the coastal area when the forcing due to littoral and prelittoral hills is enough, and type B events require a large forced lift and occur near the Pyrenees. Local topographical and mesoscale meteorological conditions turn out to have a relevant role in connection with such events.
Key wordsFlood rainfall synoptic analysis mesoscale analysis Catalonia Spain Iberian Peninsula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Llasat, M. C.: 1989, Episodios de lluvias fuertes en Cataluña: Aspectos sinópticos,Mem. Real Acad. Ciencias y Artes de Barcelona XLIX(7), 239–261.Google Scholar
- Llasat, M. C. and Puigcerver, M.: 1985, Un intento de aplicación a la Península de un modelo empírico de precipitación,Rev. Geofísica 41, 135–144.Google Scholar
- Llasat, M. C. and Puigcerver, M.: 1989, Gotas de aire frío en la Península Ibérica: Características,Rev. Geofísica 45, 177–188.Google Scholar
- Llasat, M. C. and Puigcerver, M.: 1990, Cold air pools over Europe,Meteor. and Atmos. Phys. 42, 171–177.Google Scholar
- Llasat, M. C. and R. Rodriguez: 1992, Extreme rainfall events in Catalonia. The case of 12 November 1988,Nat. Hazards 5, 133–151.Google Scholar
- Puigcerver, M., Alonso, S., Lorente, J., Llasat, M. C., Redaño, A., Burgueñio, A., and Vilar, E.: 1986, Preliminary Aspects of Rainfall Rates in the North East of Spain,Theor. Appl. Climatol. 37, 97–109.Google Scholar
- Ramis, C., Llasat, M. C., Genovés, A., and Jansà, A., in preparation: The October 1987 floods in Catalonia. Synoptic and mesoscale mechanism. (To be published).Google Scholar
- Rockwood, A. A. and R. A. Maddox: 1988, Mesoscale and synoptic scale interactions leading to intense convection: the case of 7 June 1982.Wea. Forecasting 5, 3–21.Google Scholar