Hipparcos astrometric binaries
- 26 Downloads
The Input Catalogue of some 100000 stars that is presently prepared for observation by the astrometric satellite HIPPARCOS, will contain many double and multiple systems. Because of the Hipparcos observation technique, these systems have to be divided in a few particular categories that are described and discussed. Each of them leads to specific considerations concerning the contribution of the Hipparcos observations. The category of very close pairs to which Hipparcos will certainly add many systems newly discovered during the mission, is compared to that of the few astrometric pairs that have been discovered by groundbased techniques.
Hipparcos appears finally as a very important tool in double star astronomy research and especially in the field of very close systems.
KeywordsProper Motion Scanning Direction Close Pair Double Star Visual Binary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bacchus, P.: 1982,Caractéristiques des étoiles doubles observables par Hipparcos, International Colloquium on the Scientific Aspects of The Hipparcos Mission, Strasbourg 1982, ESA SP-177, pp. 153–159.Google Scholar
- Bacchus, P.: 1984,Observabilité des étoiles doubles par Hipparcos, Inca News, No. 5, pp. 20–26.Google Scholar
- Dommanget, J.: 1953,Ciel et Terre 59, 229.Google Scholar
- Dommanget, J.: 1966,Bull. Astron. 29, 511.Google Scholar
- Dommanget, J.: 1967, ‘On the Evolution of Double Stars’,Colloque UAI, Uccle, 1966, p. 25.Google Scholar
- Dommanget, J.: 1982b,The Interest of Double-Star Observations by Hipparcos, International Colloquium on the Scientific Aspects of The Hipparcos Mission, Strasbourg 1982, ESA SP-177, pp. 161–164.Google Scholar
- Dommanget, J.: 1983a, ‘L'Astronomie des étoiles doubles face à la mission astrométrique du satellite Hipparcos’,Colloque UAI 62, Comm. Obs. R. de Belg. B, No. 127.Google Scholar
- Lindegren, L.: 1982,Imaging Properties of Hipparcos and the Observation of Multiple Stars, International Colloquium on the Scientific Aspects of The Hipparcos Mission, Strasbourg 1982, ESA SP-177, pp. 147–152.Google Scholar
- McAlister, H. A. and Hartkopf, W. I.: 1984,Catalog of Interferometric Measurements of Binary Stars, Chara Contribution, No. 1.Google Scholar
- Nys, O.: 1983, ‘Programmes for Computing Visual Binary Orbits from Three Fundamental Points and the Apparent Areal Constant’,Colloque UAI 62, Comm. Obs. R. de Belg. B, No. 128.Google Scholar