Thermosolutal instability of a radiating partially-ionized plasma in a porous medium
- 36 Downloads
The thermosolutal instability of a radiating two-component plasma, in a porous medium in the presence of a uniform vertical magnetic field, is examined with respect to the effects of collision frequency and radiative transfer. A combination of the Bestman and Chandrasekar methods is used to solve the eigenvalue problem with two-dimensional disturbances for the case of stationary convection. Radiation present on the onset of instability is found to have a destabilizing effect for even a very small radiation parameter, of the orderα(0.1). concentration gradient on the other hand has a stabilizing effect on the system. The effect of collision on the onset of stationary cells diminishes for the optical thin non-grey plasma-near equilibrium. This is of paramount importance in cosmic ray physics, as the interaction between the ionized and neutral gas components represents a state which often exists in the universe.
KeywordsConvection Porous Medium Radiative Transfer Collision Frequency Radiation Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bestman, A.R.: 1989, ICTP Internal Report IC/89/30.Google Scholar
- Bestman, A.R. and Opara, F.E.: 1990,Proc. Edward Bouchet Institute, Legon, Ghana, p. 195.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1981,Hydromagnets and Hydrodynamics Stability, Dover Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Vincenti, W.G. and Gilles, S.E.: 1968,AAAJI, 551–553.Google Scholar
- Goody, R.M.: 1956,J. Fluid. Mech. 1, 424.Google Scholar
- Gupta, A.S.: 1967,Rev. Romaine Math. Pures Appl. 12, 665.Google Scholar
- Khosla, P.K. and Mungai, M.P.: 1962,J. Fluid. Mech. 16, 97.Google Scholar
- Sharma, R.C. and Misra, J.N.: 1986,Z. Naturforsch. 41a, 729.Google Scholar
- Sharman, R.C. and Sunil: 1992,Astrophys. Space Sci. 194, 303–311.Google Scholar
- Spiegel, E.A.: 1965,Astrophys. J. 141, 1068.Google Scholar