Nonlinear RR Lyrae models with new livermore opacities
- 26 Downloads
A. N. Cox recently showed that a 20% opacity decrease in the 20,000-30,000 K region as indicated by the new Livermore OPAL opacities reconciles the discrepancy between pulsation and evolution masses of double-mode RR Lyrae variables. Nonlinear hydrodynamic calculations were performed for RR Lyrae models of mass 0.75M⊙, 51L⊙, andZ = 0.0001 (Osterhoff II type) including this opacity decrease. The Stellingwerf periodic relaxation method was used to converge the models to a limit cycle, and the Floquet matrix eigenvalues calculated to search for a tendency of the fundamental mode to grow from the full-amplitude overtone solution, and the overtone mode to grow from the full-amplitude fundamental solution, thereby predicting double-mode behavior. Models ofTeff < 7000 K with the opacity decrease have positive fundamental-mode growth rates in the overtone solution, in contrast to earlier results by Hodson and Cox (1982), and models withTeff > 7000 have positive 1st overtone growth rates in the fundamental-mode solution, but double-mode behavior was not found.
KeywordsGrowth Rate Early Result Fundamental Solution Fundamental Mode Relaxation Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cox, A. N.: 1991,Astrophysical Journal 381, 171.Google Scholar
- Cox, A. N. and Ostlie, D. A.: 1992, “A Linear and Nonlinear Study of Mira,”Nonlinear Phenomena in Stellar Variability, IAU 134, Mito, Japan, Jan. 7–10.Google Scholar
- Cox, A. N. and Tabor, J. E.: 1976,Astrophysical Journal, Supplement Series 31, 271.Google Scholar
- Iglesias, C. A. and Rogers, F. J.: 1991,Astrophysical Journal 371, L73Google Scholar
- Kovacs, G.: 1992, “Double-Mode Stellar Pulsation,”Nonlinear Phenomena in Stellar Variability, IAU 134, Mito, Japan. Jan. 7–10.Google Scholar
- Kovacs, G. and Buchler, J. R.: 1988,Astrophysical Journal 324, 1026.Google Scholar
- Ostlie, D. A.: 1990, “Time-Dependent Convection in Stellar Pulsation,” inproceedings of conference in Les Arcs, France.Google Scholar
- Petersen, J. O.: 1992, “Kappa-Effect Functions for Period Ratios,” preprint.Google Scholar
- Stellingwerf, R. F.: 1975a,Astrophysical Journal 195, 441.Google Scholar
- Stellingwerf, R. F.: 1975b,Astrophysical Journal 199, 705.Google Scholar