The arrangement of colour receptors in a fused rhabdom of an insect
Microspectrophotometric measurements on the retina ofDeilephila elpenor were performed using fresh (cut by razor blade) as well as frozen (cryostate microtome) sections. Difference spectra from various parts of the rhabdom clearly showed that in the distal part of the rhabdom the UV pigment is predominant, while in the medial part only green pigment was found. From the difference spectra, wave-length and relative height of the absorption maxima of rhodopsins and metarhodopsins were computed and were found to be in close agreement with other results reported in the literature. These findings confirm the work of Welsch (1977) who concluded from his electron microscopic analysis that the two distal receptor cells are UV sensitive, while the six median receptor cells are green sensitive. There is also good evidence to assume that the ninth, proximal receptor is violet sensitive.
KeywordsRetina Receptor Cell Microscopic Analysis Distal Part Close Agreement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hamdorf, K., Höglund, G., Langer, H.: Mikrophotometrische Untersuchungen an der Retinula des NachtschmetterlingsDeilephila elpenor. Verh. dtsch. Zool. Ges.1971, 276–280 (1972)Google Scholar
- Hamdorf, K., Höglund, G., Langer, H.: Photoregeneration of visual pigments in a moth. A microphotometric study. J. comp. Physiol.86, 247–263 (1973)Google Scholar
- Höglund, G., Hamdorf, K., Rosner, G.: Trichromatic visual system in an insect and its sensitivity control by blue light. J. comp. Physiol.86, 265–279 (1973)Google Scholar
- Kirschfeld, K.: The absolute sensitivity of lens and compound eyes. Z. Naturforsch.29c, 592–596 (1974)Google Scholar
- Knoll, F.: Insekten und Blumen. III. Lichtsinn und Blumenbesuch des Falters vonMacroglossum stellatarum. Abh. Zool. Bot. Ges. Wien12, 121–375 (1922)Google Scholar
- Knoll, F.: Lichtsinn und Blütenbesuch des FaltersDeilephila livornica. Z. vergl. Physiol.2, 329–380 (1924)Google Scholar
- Schwemer, J., Paulsen, R.: Three visual pigments inDeilephila elpenor (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae). J. comp. Physiol.86, 215–229 (1973)Google Scholar
- Snyder, A.W., Menzel, R., Laughlin, S.B.: Structure and function of the fused rhabdom. J. comp. Physiol.87, 99–135 (1973)Google Scholar
- Wald, G., Durell, J., St. George, R.C.C.: The light reaction in the bleaching of rhodopsin. Science111, 179–181 (1950)Google Scholar
- Welsch, B.: Ultrastruktur und funktionelle Morphologie der Augen des NachtfaltersDeilephila elpenor (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae). Cytobiol.14, 378–400 (1977)Google Scholar