Modification of gamma-ray spectrum in a photon field
- 25 Downloads
The changes in the high-energy gamma-ray spectra due to electron-photon cascading in the photon field (e.g., microwave background radiation) are investigated.
The propagation of gamma-rays with an initial power-law spectrum through an isotropic monoenergetic photon field is considered. Two processes of the cascade particle-photon field interaction are taken into account, namely, the photoproduction of electron-positron pairs and the inverse Compton effect. The effect of the synchrotron energy loss by cascade electrons in a magnetic field on the cascade gamma-quantum spectrum is studied. The results may be used to estimate the absorption and the variations in the shape of the spectrum of radiation from compact gamma-ray sources in the metagalaxy.
The cascade characteristics have been obtained by numerically solving the cascade equations by the moment method.
KeywordsMicrowave Energy Loss Background Radiation Moment Method Field Interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aharonian, F. A., Kirillov-Ugrumov, V. G., and Vardanian, V. V.: 1985,Astrophys. Space Sci. 115, 201.Google Scholar
- Ginzburg, V. L. (ed.): 1986,Cosmic Ray Astrophysics, Nauka, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Gould, R. J. and Schreder, G. P.: 1967,Phys. Rev. 155 (No. 5), 1405.Google Scholar
- Ivanenko, I. P. and Sizov, V. V.: 1987,Proc. 20th Int. Cosmic Ray Conf., Moscow 15, 391.Google Scholar
- Ivanenko, I. P. and Sizov, V. V.: 1989,Voprosy atomnoi nauki i tehniki, seria tehnika fisicheskogo eksperimenta (in press).Google Scholar
- Ivanenko, I. P., Sizov, V. V., and Trifonova, S. V.: 1988, Preprint NIIJF MGU 88-011/32, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Ivanenko, I. P., Sizov, V. V., and Trifonova, S. V.: 1989, Preprint NIIJF MGU 89-46/123, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Protheroe, R. J.: 1986,Monthly Notices Roy. Astron. Soc. 221, 769.Google Scholar