Compacting and sintering of boride powders
- 36 Downloads
The process of densification of titanium and chromium borides and the solid solution studied is depicted by the logarithmic relationships between relative volume and compacting pressure which are valid for metals. The elastic recovery of the materials studied is very important; the nature of the relasionship between elastic recovery and pressure is associated with the high brittleness and lack of ductility of borides.
The process whereby boride compacts are densified by sintering consists of particles being drawn into pores on reaching a temperature at which the forces of surface tension overcome the strengths of those particles which have entered the plastic state.
It has been shown that the processes of compacting and sintering can be kept separate, thus replacing the complicated and uneconomical method of hot pressing.
KeywordsTitanium Chromium Solid Solution Surface Tension Brittleness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.V. Samsonov and Ya. S. Umanskii, Hard Compounds of High-Melting Metals, [B], Metallurgizdat Press, 1957.Google Scholar
- 2.K.I. Portnoi and G.V. Samsonov, Heat-resistant Boride Alloys, [B], VINITI Press and GNTK SM SSSR, 1959.Google Scholar
- 3.G.V. Samsonov and V.S. Neshpor,Doklady Akad. Nauk, SSSR104, 1955, (3), pp 405–8. [Available as HB translation No. 3661].Google Scholar
- 4.P. Chiotti,J. Amer. Cer. Soc. 35, 1952, pp 123–130.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Dawihl,Z. Metallkunde 43, 1952, pp 138–142.Google Scholar
- 6.G.A. Meerson, Present State of the Theory about the Fundamental Processes of Powder Metallurgy; Symposium “Problems of Powder Metallurgy”, AN Ukr. SSR Press, 1955. G.V. Samsonov and S.Ya. Plotkin, Production of Iron Powder, [B], Metallurgizdat Press, 1957.Google Scholar
- 7.G.A. Meerson and G.V. Samsonov,Zhurnal Prikl. Khimii, Vol. 27, 1954, pp 1115–20.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Yu. Bal'shin, Science of Powder Metallurgy, [B], Metallurgizdat, 1948.Google Scholar
- 9.G.V. Samsonov and S. Ya. Plotkin,Vestnik Mashinostroeniya 39, 1959, (5); Symposium on “Construction of Machines and Instruments”, Byull. tekhniko-ekonomich. informatsii, No. 10-11, Mashgiz, 1958.Google Scholar
- 10.G.A. Meerson, G.V. Samsonov and M.M. Borisov,Zavodskaya Laboratoriya 19, 1953.Google Scholar
- 11.L. Ya. Markovskii, N.V. Vekshina and R.A. Shtrikhman,Ogneupory 22, 1957, (1), pp 42–46.Google Scholar
- 12.V.S. Neshpor and P.S. Kislyi,Ogneupory 24, 1959, (5), pp 231–36. [Available as HB translation No. 4883].Google Scholar