Colloidal stability of electrostatically stabilized sol particles.
- 74 Downloads
The colloid stability of ferric hydroxide sol has been investigated at three different HCl concentrations. The total HCl concentration in the sols was A>B>C, the amount of HCl adsorbed was A=B>C. The parameters which characterize the stability (flocculation value, gelation concentration, repeptizability) are related to the amount of adsorbed HCl, because this property governs the hydrophility of the sols. In contrast, the peptizability of powders after drying the sols depends on the total concentration of HCl in the system. The hydrochloric acid impedes the condensation of surface groups to 〉Fe−O−Fe〈 bonds.
From water vapor adsorption and heat of immersion data the hydration potential barrier is constructed which is comparable to the barrier according to the DLVO theory The differences and anomalies in the stability of sols are interpreted as differences in the hydrophility of samples.
Key wordsElectrostatic barrier hydration barrier flocculation gelation peptization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rohrsetzer S, Pászli I, Csempesz F, Bán S (1992) Colloid Polym Sci 270:1243–1251Google Scholar
- 2.Schukin ED, Amelina EA (1979) Adv Coll Int Sci 11:235–287Google Scholar
- 3.Derjaguin BV (1934) Koll Z 69:155–164Google Scholar
- 4.Derjaguin BV, Muller VM, Toporov YUP (1975) J Coll Int Sci 53:314–326Google Scholar
- 5.Derjaguin BV, Churaev NV (1989) Colloids Surfaces 41:223–237Google Scholar
- 6.Churaev NV, Derjaguin BV (1985) J Coll Interface Sci 103:542–553Google Scholar
- 7.Derjaguin BV, Churaev NV (1974) J Coll Interface Sci 49:249–255Google Scholar
- 8.Töth J (1966) Acta Chim Hung 48:27–56Google Scholar
- 9.Overbeek JThG (1982) Adv Coll Interface Sci 16:17–30Google Scholar
- 10.Pashley RM (1981) J Coll Interface Sci 83:531–546Google Scholar
- 11.Bobürenko JUJA, Paskova VI (1963) Kolloidnüj Zsurnal 35:655–659Google Scholar
- 12.Yotsumoto H, Yoon RH (1993) J Coll Interface Sci 157:426–433; 434–441Google Scholar
- 13.Pashley RM (1982) Adv Coll Interface Sci 16:57–62Google Scholar
- 14.Israelachvili JN (1982) Adv Coll Interface Sci 16:31–47Google Scholar
- 15.Skvarla J (1993) J Coll Interface Sci 155:506–508Google Scholar