The short-period eclipsing binary V1010 Ophiuchi does it have an eccentric orbit?
- 25 Downloads
V1010 Oph is an unusually complicated close binary. Leung and Wilson (1977) found the system had an overcontact configuration. Subsequently, Margoniet al. (1981) claimed that the system had an eccentric orbit withe=0.25 based upon their spectroscopic study. We computed a theoretical radial velocity curve (accounting for tidal, reflection, and eclipse effects) based on the photometric parameters (e.g.,e=0) of Leung and Wilson. The computed curve fits the Asiago and Kitt Peak data very well. It is suggested that the asymmetry in the observed radial velocity arose from tidal, reflection, and eclipse effects rather than from orbital eccentricity. Other arguments against an eccentric orbit for V1010 Oph are also discussed. It is concluded that the eccentricity derived from the spectroscopic study may be spurious.
KeywordsReflection Radial Velocity Spectroscopic Study Velocity Curve Eccentric Orbit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guinan, E. F.: 1971,Bull. Am. Astron. Soc. 3, 12.Google Scholar
- Guinan, E. F. and Koch, R. H.: 1977,Publ. Astron. Soc. Pacific 89, 74.Google Scholar
- Koch, R. H. and Hrivnak, B. J.: 1981,Astron. J. 86, 438.Google Scholar
- Leung, K. C.: 1974,Astron. J. 79, 852.Google Scholar
- Leung, K. C. and Schneider, D. P.: 1978,Astrophys. J. 222, 924.Google Scholar
- Leung, K. C. and Wilson, R. E.: 1977,Astrophys. J. 211, 853.Google Scholar
- Leung, K. C., Moffat, A. F. J., and Seggewiss, W.: 1983,Astrophys. J. 265, 961.Google Scholar
- Lucy, L. B. and Sweeney, M. A.: 1971,Astron. J. 76, 544.Google Scholar
- Margoni, L., Stagni, L., Mammamo, A., and Illes-Almar, E.: 1981,Astrophys. Space Sci. 79 159.Google Scholar
- Shaw, J. S. and Guinan, E. F.: 1983,Bull. Am. Astron. Soc. 15, 926.Google Scholar
- Sterne, T. E.: 1941,Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S. 27, 168.Google Scholar
- Wilson, R. E. and Sofia, S.: 1976,Astrophys. J. 203, 182.Google Scholar
- Zahn, J.-P.: 1977,Astron. Astrophys. 57, 383.Google Scholar