Products of interaction in contact of molten aluminum with boron fibers with a B4C coating
- 24 Downloads
On the boron fiber with a B4C barrier coating-molten aluminum interface there are formed the products of their interaction, which are Al4C3 aluminum carbide and AlB2 and AlB12 aluminum borides.
The formation of the phases occurs as the result of solution of the coating material, which leads to failure of the B4C coating in long contact of the fiber with the molten aluminum.
Softening of the boron fiber in contact of the molten aluminum occurs primarily as the result of formation of aluminum borides on the interphase boundary.
KeywordsAluminum Carbide Boron Boride Coating Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. E. Restall et al., Met. Mater.,4, 467–473 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Kh. Shorshorov (ed.), Fiber Composite Materials with a Metallic Matrix [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.E. A. Chernyshev, E. I. Larikov, A. M. Tsirlin, et al., "Increasing the strength characteristics and broadening the range of boron-fiber-base reinforcing fillers," in: Summaries of Papers for the All-Union Conference on Composite Materials, October 13–15, 1981 [in Russian], No. 1, Moscow, p. 127.Google Scholar
- 4.A. D. Panasyuk, V. D. Oreshkin, and V. R. Maslennikova, "An investigation of the kinetics of interaction of boron carbide with molten aluminum, silicon, nickel, and iron," Poroshk. Metall., No. 7, 79–83 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Neronov, Aluminum Borides [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 6.T. Ya. Kosolapova, Carbides [in Russian], Metallurgiya, Moscow (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.N. N. Polyak, "Determination of nonmetallic inclusions in light alloys and materials based on them," Tekhnol. Leg. Splavov, No. 2, 15–17 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.L. N. Mirkin, Handbook on X-Ray Spectral Analysis of Polycrystalline Materials [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, Moscow (1961).Google Scholar
- 9.A. A. Cochran et al., J. Met.,22, No. 8, 37–42 (1970).Google Scholar