Interplanetary disturbances produced by a simulated solar flare and equatorially-fluctuating heliospheric current sheet
A recently developed nonplanar, time-dependent magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) model (Wuet al., 1983) was used to study the interplanetary disturbances produced by a compound event in the heliosphere. That is, a steady-state interplanetary medium is first disturbed by a simulated equatorially-fluctuating current sheet. After a few days (100 hr), the disturbed interplanetary medium is again perturbed by a solar-flare-generated shock wave. Attention is directed toward the differences that are caused by the presence of the equatorially-fluctuating (warped) current sheet.
KeywordsShock Wave Flare Current Sheet Solar Flare Heliospheric Current Sheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burlaga, L. F., Sittler, E., Mariani, F., and Schwenn, R.: 1981,J. Geophys. Res. 86, 6673.Google Scholar
- D'Uston, C.: 1981, Ph.D. Thesis, Université Paul Sabatier de Toulouse, France.Google Scholar
- D'Uston, C., Dryer, M., Han, S. M., and Wu, S. T.: 1981,J. Geophys. Res. 86, 525.Google Scholar
- Dryer, M., Wu, S. T., and Han, S. M.: 1980,Geofisica Internaciónal 19, 1.Google Scholar
- Dryer, M., Wu, S. T., Gislason, G., Han, S. M., Smith, Z. K., Wang, J. F., Smart, D. F., and Shea, M. A.: 1983,J. Geophys. Res. (submitted).Google Scholar
- Hakamada, K. and Akasofu, S.-I.: 1982,Space Sci. Rev. 31, 3.Google Scholar
- Rhodes, E. J., Jr. and Smith, E. J.: 1981,J. Geophys. Res. 86, 8877.Google Scholar
- Wu, S. T.: 1982,Space Sci. Rev. 32, 115.Google Scholar
- Wu, S. T., Han, S. M., and Dryer, M.: 1979,Planetary Space Sci. 27, 255.Google Scholar
- Wu, S. T., Dryer, M., and Han, S. M.: 1983,Solar Phys. 84, 395.Google Scholar