Vibrational stability of rotating stars
- 25 Downloads
The aim of the present paper will be to detail the explicit form of the equations which govern first-order oscillations of fast-rotating globes of self-gravitating fluids; with due account taken of the effects arising from the centrifugal as well as Coriolis force. As such configurations oscillate in general about distorted figures of equilibrium, the equations governing them can be conveniently expressed in terms of the Clairaut coordinates, associated with distorted spheroidal figures, and introduced in our previous paper (Kopal, 1980) for this purpose.
In Section 2 which follows a brief outline of our problem, the equilibrium properties of fast-rotating configurations or arbitrary structure will be formulated. In Section 3 we shall carry out a separation of the variables in the equations of motion, and reduce the partial differential equations of the problem to an equivalent system of ordinary differential equations, by an expansion of expressions for the velocity componentsU, V, W in terms of tesseral harmonicsY n m (ϑ, ϕ). The explicit form of such a system, including the effects of all tesseral harmonics of orders up tom=n=4, will be specified in Section 3 for configurations whose equilibrium form is a sphere; while in Section 4 this latter condition will be relaxed to allow for the equilibrium configuration to become a rotational spheroid.
In the concluding Section 5 we shall convert the complex form of our equations of motion into real terms, amenable to a solution-analytical or numerical-in terms of real variables; and shall establish the boundary conditions necessary for a specification of the characteristic frequencies of oscillation.
KeywordsPartial Differential Equation Ordinary Differential Equation Explicit Form Characteristic Frequency Coriolis Force
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cowling, T. G.: 1941,Monthly Notices Roy. Astr. Soc. 101, 367.Google Scholar
- Cowling, T. G. and Newing, R. A.: 1949,Astrophys. J. 109, 149.Google Scholar
- Kopal, Z.: 1973,Astrophys. Space Sci. 24, 145.Google Scholar
- Kopal, Z.: 1978,Dynamics of Close Binary Systems, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Kopal, Z.: 1980,Astrophys. Space Sci. 70, 407.Google Scholar
- Kopal, Z. and Kamala Mahanta, M.: 1974,Astrophys. Space Sci. 30, 347.Google Scholar
- Ledoux, P.: 1949,Mem. Roy. Soc. Liège 9, (4), 263.Google Scholar
- Ledoux, P.: 1951,Astrophys. J. 114, 373.Google Scholar
- Ledoux, P. and Pekeris, C. L.: 1941,Astrophys. J. 94, 124.Google Scholar
- Tisserand, F.: 1891,Traité de Mécanique Céleste, Gauthier-Villars, Paris; Vol. II, Chapitre XVII.Google Scholar