Properties of tungsten-rhenium alloys
- 679 Downloads
The W-Re equilibrium diagram has been constructed [Figure 6].
Addition of Re to tungsten raised the temperature of incipient recrystallization of tungsten VCh wire by 200–400°C, depending on the rhenium content.
Rhenium improved the strength and ductility of tungsten in the 20–3000°C range.
W-Re wire developed a high strength and ductility after annealing at 1400–1950°C. An alloy with 20% Re annealed at 1400–1500°C had a strength of 180–190 kg/sq. mm and 18–20% elongation.
W-Re alloys were harder than plain W in the 20–1000°C range. At 800°C, the alloys with 10, 25 and 75% Re had a hardness of about 200 kg/sq. mm while an alloy of W with 2% Re had one of about 110 kg/sq. mm.
Alloying of tungsten with rhenium increased several-fold its resistivity at various temperatures.
W-Re alloys can be recommended for elements of electric vacuum devices such as cathodes, heaters, radio tube grids, etc. They are also suitable for thermocouples and electrical contacts.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Geach and J. Hughes,Plansee Proc., 1955.Google Scholar
- 2.K. Becker and K. Moers, ulMetallwirtschaft, vol. 9, 1930, #52.Google Scholar
- 3.A. G. Knapton,Journal Inst. of Metals, vol. 83, Part 2, August 1955, 497–504.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Greenfield and P. A. Beck,Journal of Metals, vol. 8, 1956, #2, 265–276.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Trzebiatowski, and J. Niemiec, Reports of Polish Akad. of Sciences (Bulletin' Pol'skoi AN) vol. 4, Part 3, 1956, #9.Google Scholar
- 6.E. M. Savitskii and M. A. Tylkina,Neorganicheskaya Khimiya, vol. 3, 1958, #3.Google Scholar
- 7.E. M. Savitskii, M. A. Tylkina, and L. L. Shishkina,Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR OTN, Metallurgy Branch, May/June 1959, #3, 99–107.Google Scholar
- 8.G. A. Meerson and A. N. Zelikman, Rare-Earth Metals Metallurgy, (Metallurgiya Redkikh Met.) Metallurgizdat Press, 1955.Google Scholar
- 9.S. I. Ipatova, Some Properties of Wires Made of Tungsten, Molybdenum and their Alloys (MR-20, MR-50), (Nekotorye Svoistva Provolok iz Volfr., Molibd. i Ikh Spl.) [Book] Gosenergoizdat Press, 1952.Google Scholar
- 10.A. P. Ivanov, Electrical Sources of Light (Elektricheskie Istochniki Sveta) Gosenergoizdat Press, 1955.Google Scholar