A numerical experiment on relaxation times in stellar dynamics
- 22 Downloads
The deflection of the velocity vector of a massless test star in the field of 100 stars was determined by numerical integration. The deflection due to each field star independently (with the other field stars removed) was also determined. The square of the deflection caused by the combined action of the field stars agreed quantitatively with the sum of the sauares of the individual deflections and also with the theoretical estimate of Williamson and Chandrasekhar.
KeywordsRelaxation Time Numerical Experiment Velocity Vector Combine Action Theoretical Estimate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gasiorowicz, S., Neuman, M., and Riddel, Jr. R. J.: 1956,Phys. Rev. 101, 922.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, I. H.: 1968,Astrophys. J. 152, 1043.Google Scholar
- Henon, M.: 1958,Ann. Astrophys. 21, 186.Google Scholar
- Ostriker, J. P. and Davidson, A. F.: 1968,Astrophys. J. 151, 679.Google Scholar
- Plummer, H. C.: 1918,An Introductory Treatise on Dynamical Astronomy, London.Google Scholar
- Rybicki, G.: 1970, Private communication.Google Scholar
- Williamson, R. E. and Chandrasekhar, S.: 1941,Astrophys. J. 93, 305.Google Scholar