The Siberian Solar Radio-Telescope: Parameters and principle of operation, objectives and results of first observations of spatio-temporal properties of development of active regions and flares
At the SibIZMIR, the Siberian Solar Radio-Telescope (SSRT) has been devised, built and aimed to diagnose the state of solar activity in the microwave band, and to study the structure and development of active regions and flares in the solar atmosphere with high two-dimensional resolution on a real-time basis. The SSRT is a 256-element 5.2 cm cross interferometer oriented in E-W and N-S directions. Each linear interferometer consists of 128 antennas spaced by 4.9 m, with parabolic dishes 2.5 m in diameter. The brightness distribution of circularly polarized and nonpolarized emission is recorded. Radio-images are synthesized in the course of solar scanning as a consequence of co-rotation with the Earth of the multi-lobe antenna pattern of the SSRT along with multi-frequency recording of the radio brightness distribution in the angle of elevation. All SSRT systems control, data collection, operative representation and preprocessing are automatized. Solar observations have been carried out simultaneously with adjustment work during a stepwise commisioning of the SSRT since 1981. The observations revealed sudden, considerable changes of active regions and allowed us to keep track of the process of microwave emission source polarization, localization, and development of flare processes, and of other phenomena.
KeywordsFlare Source Polarization Brightness Distribution Antenna Pattern Microwave Emission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akhmedov, Sh. B., Borovik, V. N., Korzhavin, A. N.et al.: 1966,Solnechnye dannye, No. 2, p. 62.Google Scholar
- Kundu, M. R. and Vlahos, L.: 1982,Space Sci. Rev. 32, 405.Google Scholar
- Molchanov, A. P.: 1962,Solnechnye dannye, No. 2, p. 53.Google Scholar
- Smolkov, G. Ya.: 1982, in W. Fricke and G. Teleki (eds.), ‘The Solar Complex of SibIZMIR Observatories: Instruments and Main Results of the Investigations’,Sun and Planetary System, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, p. 121.Google Scholar
- Smolkov, G. Ya., Treskov, T. A., Krissinel, B. B., and Potapov, N. N.: 1983,Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa, Vol 64, Nauka, Moscow, p. 130.Google Scholar