Closure of field-aligned currents in the ionosphere
The ionospheric currentsj⊥ closing the field-aligned currents (FACs) flow mostly along the auroral oval and connect dawn and dusk sides of the oval. The currentj⊥ has a significant component directed across the auroral oval in the immediate vicinity of the interface between the two regions of Iijima and Potemra (1976) only. The value ofj⊥ is larger poleward of the interface than equatorward of the interface.
KeywordsSignificant Component Auroral Oval Dusk Side Large Poleward
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akasofu, S.-I.: 1970, in B. M. McCormac (ed.),Particles and Fields in the Magnetosphere, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Böstrom, R.: 1964,J Geophys. Res. 69, 4983.Google Scholar
- Burrows, J. R. and McDiarmid, I. B.: 1972, in E. R. Dyer (ed.),Critical Problems of Magnetospheric Physics, IUCSTP Secretariat, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Heppner, J. P., Stolarik, J. D. and Wescott, E. M.: 1971, in B. M. McCormac (ed.),The Radiating Atmosphere, D. Reidel, Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Hruška, A.: 1981, in H. Kikuchi (ed.),Relation between Laboratory and Space Plasmas, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, Holland.Google Scholar
- Iijima, T. and Potemra, T. A.: 1976,J. Geophys. Res. 81, 2165.Google Scholar
- Sugiura, M.: 1975,J. Geophys. Res. 80, 2057.Google Scholar