The URCA process in convective cores
- 28 Downloads
A Monte Carlo simulation has been carried out for URCA processes in a degenerate convective stellar core, such as would be obtained following degenerate carbon ignition. We find energy loss rates substantially less than obtained by Paczynski in his vibrational approximation for this process. We conclude that the loss rates should be computed by direct integration over the convective core assuming a uniform ratio of the abundances of the URCA pair.
KeywordsMonte Carlo Simulation Energy Loss Loss Rate Direct Integration Convective Core
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ergma, E. and Paczynski, B.: 1974,Acta Astron. 24, 1.Google Scholar
- Landau, L. D. and Lifshitz, E. M.: 1959,Fluid Mechanics, Pergamon Press, London.Google Scholar
- Paczynski, B.: 1972,Astrophys. Letters 11, 53.Google Scholar
- Schwarzschild, M.: 1958,Structure and Evolution of the Stars, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.Google Scholar
- Tsuruta, S. and Cameron, A. G. W.: 1970,Astrophys. Space Sci. 7, 374.Google Scholar