Possible non-thermal effects in stellar nuclear reactions
The slowing down of charged ions in dense plasma is examined. It is found that under conditions prevailing in late phases of evolution, the nuclei can react while slowing down.
The consequence of such an additional nuclear reaction on the product of the nuclear burning is discussed briefly.
KeywordsBurning Late Phase Dense Plasma Nuclear Reaction Nuclear Burning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1941,Astrophys. J. 93, 285.Google Scholar
- Dar, A., Grunzweig-Genossar, J., Peres, A., Revzen, M., and Ron, A.: 1974,Phys. Rev. Lett. 22, 1299.Google Scholar
- Kranzer, H. C.: 1960,Phys. Fluids 4, 214.Google Scholar
- Spitzer, L.: 1957,Physics of Fully Ionized Gases, Interscience Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Woosley, S. E., Fowler, W. A., Holmes, J. A., and Zimmermann, B. A.: 1975, Orange Aid Preprint Series, OAP-422.Google Scholar