On the equilibrium figures of an ideal rotating liquid in the post-Newtonian approximation of general relativity
- 26 Downloads
Maclaurin's P-ellipsoid, which is an equilibrium figure in the post-Newtonian approximation of general relativity, is constructed in the neighbourhood of Maclaurin's classical ellipsoid. Its shape and rotation velocity are investigated. It is shown that in the case of a P-ellipsoid with the mass and the angular momentum of a basic ellipsoid the effects of general relativity reduce the rotation velocity and decrease its volume.
KeywordsGeneral Relativity Angular Momentum Rotation Velocity Equilibrium Figure Basic Ellipsoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bardeen, J. M.: 1971,Astrophys. J. 167, 425.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1965,Astrophys. J. 142, 1488.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1969,Ellipsoid Figures of Equilibrium, New Haven and London, Yale Univ. Press.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1967,Astrophys. J. 147, 334.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar, S.: 1971,Astrophys. J. 167, 447.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. M. and Cameron, A. G. W.: 1969,Nature 224, 566.Google Scholar
- Krefetz, E.: 1966,Astrophys. J. 143, 1004.Google Scholar