Parametric instabilities and nucleation of coupled Langmuir and acoustic waves in a weakly-ionized plasma
- 27 Downloads
A pair of coupled equations governing the nonlinear interaction between Langmuir and acoustic waves in partially-ionized plasmas are presented. Three-wave decay interactions, modulatinal instabilities, as well as the nucleation of coupled Langmuir and acoustic waves can then be studied. The results are of relevance to the lower part of the ionosphere, radio-frequency driven gas discharges, as well as the interstellar medium.
KeywordsAcoustic Wave Nonlinear Interaction Interstellar Medium Couple Equation Parametric Instability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christiansen, P. J., Jain, V. K., and Stenflo L.: 1981,Phys. Rev. Letters 46, 1333.Google Scholar
- Fried, B. D., Ikemura, T., Nishikawa, K., and Schmidt, G.: 1976,Phys Fluids 19, 1975.Google Scholar
- Malkin, V. M.: 1984,Soviet Phys. JETP 60, 248.Google Scholar
- Stenflo, L.: 1990,J. Atmospheric Terrest. Phys. (in press).Google Scholar
- Stenflo, L., Tsintsadze, N. L., and Buadze, T. D.: 1989,Phys. Letters A 135, 37.Google Scholar
- Tsintsadze, N. L., Buadze, T. D., Shukla, P. K., and Stenflo, L.: 1990,J. Geophys. Res.,95, 2465.Google Scholar
- Zakharov, V. E.: 1972,Soviet Phys. JETP 35, 908.Google Scholar