Free convection effects on the oscillatory flow in the Stokes's problem past an infinite porous vertical limiting surface with constant suction — I
- 30 Downloads
An analysis of Rayleigh's problem (also Stokes's problem) for the flow of a viscous fluid (e.g. of a stellar atmosphere) past an impulsively started infinite, vertical porous limiting surface (e.g. of a star) with constant suction, when the free stream velocity oscillates in time about a constant mean, has been carried out. On solving the coupled non-linear equations in approximate way, expressions for the mean velocity, the mean temperature, the mean skin-friction and the mean rate of heat transfer, expressed in terms of Nusselt number, are obtained. The effects of Grashof numberG, Eckert numberE and Prandtl numberP, on these quantities, is discussed for the cases of an externally heating and cooling of the limiting surface, by the free convection currents, and the variations of them are shown graphically.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Nusselt Number Viscous Fluid Free Convection Free Stream
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lighthill, M. J.: 1954,Proc. Roy. Soc. (Lond.) A224, 1.Google Scholar
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: 1973a,Proc. Roy Soc. A333, 25–26.Google Scholar
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: 1973b,Proc. Roy Soc. A333, 37–50.Google Scholar
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: 1977,J. Heat Transfer,99, 499–501.Google Scholar
- Stokes, G. C.: 1951,Cambr. Phil. Trans. IX 8.Google Scholar
- Stuart, J. T.: 1955,Proc. Roy Soc. A231, 116–130.Google Scholar
- Weir, A. D.: 1976,J. Fluid Mech. 75, 49.Google Scholar