Čerenkov radiation in anisotropic plasmas
- 35 Downloads
Following our series of works on anisotropic radiation, we analyze the Čerenkov condition in magnetized plasmas in this paper. We have discovered that the usual Čerenkov condition cos θ=1/nβ‖ isnot satisfied at a far field point in anisotropic media, implying that when a charge is moving in a magnetized plasma, a linear shock wave front does not form. Thus we can calculate the power received at a far field per unit time in such a medium — this quantity could not be evaluated according to previous theory. Numerical examples are presented to show various relevant characteristics of Čerenkov radiation in model plasmas.
KeywordsRadiation Shock Wave Wave Front Relevant Characteristic Anisotropic Medium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng, F. T. and Fung, P. C. W.: 1977,Astrophys. Space Sci. 49, 367.Google Scholar
- Fung, P. C. W. and Cheng, F. T.: 1977,Astrophys. Space Sci. 50, 361.Google Scholar
- Fung, P. C. W. and Kwan, T. P.: 1983,Astrophys. Space Sci. 93, 281.Google Scholar
- Fung, P. C. W. and Leung, P. L.: 1987,Astrophys. Space Sci. 137, 33.Google Scholar
- Fung, P. C. W. and Young, K.: 1982,Astrophys Space Sci. 81, 453.Google Scholar
- Jelly, J. V.: 1958,Čerenkov Radiation and its Applications, Pergamon Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kolomenskii, A.: 1956,Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 86(6).Google Scholar
- Leung, P. L. and Fung, P. C. W.: 1987,Astrophys. Space Sci. 136, 259.Google Scholar
- Leung, P. L. and Fung, P. C. W.: 1989,Astrophys. Space Sci. 151, 293.Google Scholar