Structural variability in the genome of theThermoproteus tenax virus TTV1
Six variants of the TTV1 genome, including the primary isolate, have been characterized. DNA sequence comparison of ‘wild-type’ virus (WT) and one of the variants (VT3) showed that differences are due to insertions and deletions that were confined to contiguous portions of two distinctClaI fragments. Seven similar short DNA sequences (30–102 bp) were involved in the variation. The deletions and insertions of these short DNA sequences occurred in every case adjacent to the 8 by consensus sequence 5′-ACXCCTAC-3′ which formed the 5′ flank of the segments involved.
Key wordsThermoproteus Virus Variability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Devereux J, Haeberli P, Smithies O (1984) A comprehensive set of sequence analysis programs for the VAX. Nucleic Acids Res 12:387–395Google Scholar
- Jankovic D, Wunderl S, Holz I, Zillig W, Gierl A, Neumann H (1983) TTV1, TTV2, and TTV3, a family of viruses of the extremely thermophilic, anaerobic, sulfur reducing archaebacteriumThermoproteus tenax. Mol Gen Genet 192:39–45Google Scholar
- Kleckner N (1981) Transposable elements in procaryotes. Annu Rev Genet 15:341–404Google Scholar
- Messing J, Vieira J (1982) A new pair of M13 vectors for selecting either DNA strand of double-digest restriction fragments. Gene 19:269–276Google Scholar
- Neumann H, Zillig W (1990 a) The TTV1-encoded viral protein TPX: primary structure of the gene and the protein. Nucleic Acids Res 18:195Google Scholar
- Neumann H, Zillig W (1990b) Nucleotide sequence of the viral protein TPX of the TTV1 variant VT3. Nucleic Acids Res 18:2171Google Scholar
- Neumann H, Eckerskorn C, Schwass V, Zillig W (1989) Identification and characterization of the genes encoding three structural proteins of theThermoproteus tenax virus TTV 1. Mol Gen Genet 219:105–110Google Scholar
- Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulsen AR (1977) DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 74:5463–5467Google Scholar
- Sanger F, Coulsen AR, Barrell BG, Smith AJH, Roe BA (1980) Cloning in single-stranded bacteriophage as an aid to rapid DNA sequencing. J Mol Biol 143:161–178Google Scholar
- Staden R (1980) A new computer method for the storage and manipulation of DNA gel reading data. Nucleic Acids Res 8:3673–3694Google Scholar