Bioequivalence studies in humans of indomethacin capsules marketed in India
- 73 Downloads
Two, separate 6×6 Latin square cross-over bioequivalence studies were performed in adult male volunteers using 10 different indomethacin capsule preparations marketed in India together with the pure drug powder as the standard. The products were evaluated with respect to plasma level at various times up to 8 h following administration of a 50 mg (2 × 25 mg) dose. Plasma samples were analysed by a fluorimetric method. Various pharmacokinetic parameters were calculated according to a two compartment model. Statistical evaluation of the data employed analysis of variance for a cross-over design (ANOVA) and Duncan's multiple range test to ascertain the significance of differences between the products. Of the 10 products studied, two were found to be bioinequivalent.
Key wordsindomethacin capsules bioequivalence volunteers pharmacokinetics statistical significance bioavailability comparative bioequivalence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dipalma JR (1976) Basic pharmacology in medicine, McGraw-Hill, New York, p 147Google Scholar
- 2.Chodos DJ, DiSanto AR (1979) Basics of bioavailability. c.f. Blanchard J, Sawchuk RJ, Brodie BB (eds). In: Principles and perspectives in drug bioavailability, Karger, Basel, p 282Google Scholar
- 3.Stein G (1977) Pharmacokinetics of indomethacin and metabolites of indomethacin after repeated administration to patients with normal and abnormal renal function. Int J Clin Pharmacol Biopharm 15: 470Google Scholar
- 4.Alvan GC, Orme M, Bertilsson L, Eustrand R, Palmer L (1975) Pharmacokinetics of indomethacin. Clin Pharmacol Ther 18: 364Google Scholar
- 5.Hucker HB, Zacchei AG, Cox SV, Brodie DA, Cantwell NHR (1963) Studies on the absorption, distribution and excretion of indomethacin in various species, J Pharmacol Exp Ther 153 : 237Google Scholar
- 6.Kwan KC, Breault GO, Umbenhauer ER, McMohan FG, Duggan DE (1976) Kinetics of indomethacin absorption, elimination and enterohepatic circulation in man. J Pharmacokinet Biopharm 4 : 255Google Scholar
- 7.Rowe JS, Carless JE (1981) Comparison of the in vitro dissolution behaviour of various indomethacin formulations with their in vivo bioavailability. J Pharm Pharmacol 33: 561Google Scholar
- 8.Lindquist B, Jensen KM, Johansson H, Hansen T (1974) Effect of concurrent administration of aspirin and indomethacin on serum concentration. Clin Pharmacol Ther 15 : 247Google Scholar
- 9.Gibaldi M, Perrier D (1975) Pharmacokinetics. Marcel. Dekker, New York, p 288Google Scholar
- 10.Duggan DE, Hooke KF, Noll RM, Kwan KC (1975) Enterohepatic circulation of indomethacin and its role in intestinal irritation, Biochem Pharmacol, 25: 1749Google Scholar
- 11.Anon (1977) Bioequivalence requirements and in vivo bioavailability procedures. Federal Register 7Google Scholar