Radioimmunoassay of glipizide in human plasma
- 23 Downloads
A simple, sensitive radioimmunoassay has been developed for the direct determination of glipizide in human plasma. Antisera raised in rabbits immunized with a glipizide analogue conjugated to bovine serum albumin were highly specific, the two main metabolites, 3,cis-hydroxycyclohexyl derivative and 4,trans-hydroxycyclohexyl derivative, having cross reactivities of 0.73% and 1.66%, respectively. The method can measure amounts as small as 1 ng/ml. The intra- and inter-assay coefficients of variation lay between 2.98–5.79% and 2.35–8.66%, respectively. The mean recovery of glipizide added to plasma was 99–105% over the range 1–500 ng/ml. The method was employed to determine plasma levels in six subjects after administration of a 5 mg tablet of glipizide. The results were in accordance with those found after administration of the same dose of radiolabelled glipizide to two other subjects.
Key wordsglipizide radioimmunoassay antibody preparation cross-reactivity precision and accuracy plasma level man
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fuccella LM, Tamassia V, Valzelli G (1973) Metabolism and kinetics of the hypoglycaemic agent glipizide in man — Comparison with glibenclamide. J Clin Pharmacol 13: 68Google Scholar
- 2.Goldaniga GC, Maraone C, Pianezzola E, Valzelli G, Ambrogi V (1973) Metabolism of glipizide in the rat and dog and its tissue distribution in the mouse. Arzneim Forsch (Drug Res) 23: 242Google Scholar
- 3.Balant L, Fabre J, Zahnd GR (1975) Comparison of the Pharmacokinetics of glipizide and glibenclamide in man. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 8: 63Google Scholar
- 4.Schmidt HA, Shoog M, Schweer KH, Winkler E (1973) Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics as well as metabolism following orally and intravenously administered14C-glipizide, a new antidiabetic. Diabetologia (Suppl) 9: 320Google Scholar
- 5.Balant L, Zahnd G, Gorgia A, Schwarz R, Fabre J (1973) Pharmacokinetics of glipizide in man: influence of renal insufficiency. Diabetologia (Suppl) 9: 331Google Scholar
- 6.Farr RS (1958) A quantitative immunochemical measure of the primary interaction between I-BSA and antibody. J Infect Dis 103: 239Google Scholar