Short-term variations of some UV-ceti type flare stars
- 34 Downloads
Sinusoidal variations in bothV - andB-bands were detected in some flare stars of the UV Ceti type outside of flares. This detection has confirmed the light variation detection in Johnson'sV -band in EV Lac at quiet-state luminosity by Pettersen (1980) with a cyclic period equals about 4 . d 378 and an amplitude of about 0 . m 07. An interpretation of these short cyclic periods is that they are due to intensity modulations from a photospheric spot group as a result of stellar equatorial rotations. A short period of 14 days with an amplitude of 0 . m 099 was detected inB-band in AD Leo. For the two flare stars, BD+55° 1823 and DO Cep in bothV- andB-bands, cyclic periods of more than 3 days and less than 17 days with amplitudes more than 0 . m 090 and less than 0 . m 250 have been registered. A significant contribution has been found in the flare star EV Lac in bothV- andB-bands at its quiescent-state luminosity where the detected cyclic periods are agreed with that which was detected by Pettersen (1980) in the same flare star in Johnson'sV-band, about 4 days. Furthermore, we found the same cyclic period in the colour index,B - V (about 4 days) which strengthens starspot phenomenon. This colour index period could not be detected by Pettersen (1980).
KeywordsFlare Colour Index Light Variation Sinusoidal Variation Spot Group
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mahmoud, F.M.: 1991a,Astrophys. Space Sci. 186, 109.Google Scholar
- Mahmoud, F.M.: 1991b,Astrophys. Space Sci. 186, 113.Google Scholar
- Mavridis, L.N.: 1990,Eκτακτos Συν∈δρια τηs 7ηs Μαιου, 1990.Google Scholar
- Mavridis, L.N., Asteriadis, G., and Mahmoud, F.M.: 1982, in: E. Mariolopoulos, P.S. Theocaris and L.N. Mavridis (eds.),Compendium in Astronomy, D. Reidel Publ. Co., Dordrecht, p. 253.Google Scholar
- Mavridis, L.N. and Varvoglis, P.P.: 1990,Exceptional Meeting, September, 1990, in Athens.Google Scholar
- Mullan, D.J.: 1975,Astron. Astrophy. 40, 41.Google Scholar
- Pettersen, B.R.: 1980,Astron. J. 85, 871.Google Scholar
- Roitzman, G.Sh.: 1984,Sov. Astron. 28(3), 293.Google Scholar