Comparison between measured and predicted transmission characteristics of 12 km spliced graded-index fibres
- 14 Downloads
Cumulative attenuation and dispersion were measured along a 11.7 km fibre link consisting of 10 spliced fibres and compared to measurements on the individual fibres. Four different procedures were used for the loss measurements, and the effect of transient losses has been investigated. Good agreement was obtained between predicted and measured losses in the link provided transient losses due to high-order modes were eliminated in the individual measurements. Pulse dispersion measurements were made without the use of any mode scrambler. The cumulative dispersion measurements clearly showed a significant correlation between non-adjoining fibres, and the observed pulse width exhibited more of a linear than a square root dependence on length.
KeywordsAttenuation Communication Network Pulse Width Individual Measurement Loss Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Eve, P. C. Hensel, D. J. Malyon, B. P. Nelson, J. R. Stern, J. V. Wright andJ. E. Midwinter,Opt. Quant. Elect. 10 (1978) 253–65.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Ikeda andK. Kitayama,Appl. Opt. 17 (1978) 63–67.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Sordo, F. Esposto andB. Costa,Fourth European Conference on Optical Fibre Communication, Genova, September (1978) p. 71.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Schlang, P. Rautenberg andB. Hillerich,Fourth European Conference on Optical Fibre Communication, Genova, September (1978) p. 249.Google Scholar
- 5.N. Uchida, M. Koyama, S. Inao, M. Hoshikawa andT. Naruse, ‘Technical Digest of IOOC 77’, Tokyo (1977) p. 285.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Kaiser andD. L. Bisbee,Technical Digest of Topical Meeting on Optical Fiber Communication, Washington, DC, March (1979) p. 26.Google Scholar
- 7.A. R. Tynes andR. M. Derosier,Elect. Lett. 13 (1977) 673.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Olshansky, M. G. Blankenship andD. B. Keck,Second European Conference on Optical Fibre Communication, Paris, September (1976) p. 111.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Eve,Elect. Lett. 13 (1977) 315.Google Scholar
- 10.Idem, Opt. Quant. Elect. 10 (1978) 41–51.Google Scholar