Dispersion of tubular modes propagating in multimode optical fibres
- 19 Downloads
We have already used interferometric techniques for measuring, first, the impulse response of optical fibres and further the different times of flight of modes of a multimode fibre. Apart from time of flight, our set-up provides the intramodal dispersion of each mode (d2β/dω2). To demonstrate, we have measured the modal dispersion difference between two tubular modes that were selectively excited in a multimode graded index fibre. For comparison, a theoretical expression has been derived, based on a ray optics approach.
KeywordsCommunication Network Optical Fibre Impulse Response Theoretical Expression Modal Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Facq andS. Berdagué, ‘Mode division multiplexing in optical fibre’,Appl. Opt. 21 (1982) 2254.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Piasecki, B. Colombeau, M. Vampouille, C. Froehly andJ. Arnaud,ibid.‘19 (1980) 3149–55.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Barthelemy, J. Piasecki andC. Froehly,Opt. Quant. Electron. 13 (1981) 401–10.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Barthelemy, P. Facq, C. Froehly andJ. Arnaud,Electron. Lett. 18 (1982) 247–9.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Arnaud, in ‘Fibre and Integrated Optics’, edited by D. B. Ostrowsky (Plenum Press, New York, 1979).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Shibata andT. Edahiro,Trans. IECE Japan E65 (1982) 166–72.Google Scholar