Beam propagation in elliptical fibres
- 20 Downloads
We apply an operator method, based on the scalar wave equation, to study the propagation of a Gaussian light beam in an optical fibre with an arbitrary, elliptically symmetric refractive-index profile. We discover that ray optical results, while not capable of predicting the rapid distortion of an optical beam in a non-ideal refractive-index profile, successfully simulate the general form of the optical power distributions, even in non-ideal profiles. We find that the propagation patterns for elliptical fibres with and without a strongly scattering central index dip show several unexpected similarities.
KeywordsWave Equation Optical Fibre Propagation Pattern Light Beam Operator Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Ankiewicz,Opt. Quant. Elect. 11 (1979) 197.Google Scholar
- 2.K. F. Barrell andC. Pask,ibid 11 (1979) 237.Google Scholar
- 3.W. J. Stewart,Opt. Commun. 9 (1973) 98.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Yevick andB. Stoltz,Elect. Lett. 16 (1980) 210.Google Scholar
- 5.M. D. Feit andJ. A. Fleck, Jr,Appl. Opt. 17 (1978) 3990.Google Scholar