Surface roughness measurements from coherent light scattering
- 181 Downloads
Results are presented of surface roughness measurements obtained by applying Beckmann's theory on the scattering of electromagnetic waves from rough surfaces to the scattering of laser light from ground glass surfaces. Measurements of the variance of surface height obtained in several scattering geometries and also from stylus measurements are presented and shown to agree closely for each surface. Also results are presented which show that the usual assumption of a Gaussian form for the autocorrelation function of surface height does not apply to the surfaces being studied here.
KeywordsSurface Roughness Autocorrelation Communication Network Light Scattering Electromagnetic Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Beckmann, in ‘The scattering of electromagnetic waves from rough surfaces’, P. Beckmann and A. Spizzichino, Pergamon Press, London (1963).Google Scholar
- 2.A. F. Houchens andR. G. Hering,Progr. Astronautics and Aeronautics 20 (1967) 65–89.Google Scholar
- 3.T. J. Love andR. E. Francis,ibid 115–135.Google Scholar
- 4.R. C. Birkebak,Appl. Opt. 10 (1971) 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.D. H. Hensler,ibid 11 (1972) 2522–2528.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Berny andC. Imbert,Bull. Nat. de Metrologie 4 (1973) 14–19.Google Scholar
- 7.P. J. Chandley andW. T. Welford,Opt. Quant. Elect. 7 (1975) 393–397.Google Scholar