North-South asymmetry of the daily interplanetary magnetic field spiral during the period: 1965–1990
We have extended our earlier study of the dependance of interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) spiral on the magnetic polarity to cover the 26-year period 1965–1990. Our analysis reveals that: 1. The spiral angle north of the current sheet is higher than south of it. 2. During both of negative solar polarity epochs the IMF spiral is stable; it shows more variation during positive polarity epoch. 3. The included angle is lower than 180° during negative polarity epochs and higher than 180° during positive polarity epoch. 4. The Earth spent more time north of the current sheet during our period of analysis.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Current Sheet Interplanetary Magnetic Field Negative Polarity Magnetic Polarity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bieber, J. W.: 1988, ‘North-South Asymmetry of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field Spiral’,J. Geophys. Res. 93, 5903–5907.Google Scholar
- Chen, J., Bieber, J. W., and Pomrantz, M. A.: 1991, ‘Cosmic Ray Unidirectional Latitude Gradient: Evidence for North-South Asymmetric Solar Modulation’,J. Geophys. Res. 96, 11569–11585.Google Scholar
- Couzens, D. A. and King, J. H.: 1986, ‘Interplanetary Medium Data Book Supplement 3A, 1977–1985’,Rep. NSSDC/WDC-A-R&S 86-04, 30 pp., NASA, Greenbelt, MD.Google Scholar
- King, J. H.: 1976. ‘A Survey of Long-Term Interplanetary Magnetic Field Variations’,J. Geophys. Res. 81, 653–660Google Scholar
- Parker, E. N.: 1958, ‘Dynamics of the Interplanetary Gas and Magnetic Field’,Astrophys. J. 128, 664–676.Google Scholar
- Sabbah I.: 1993, ‘Long-Term Variations of the Cosmic Ray Latitude Gradient’, 23rd ICRC, Calgary, Canada Conf. Paper 3, 667–670.Google Scholar
- Sabbah, I.: 1994,:A Search for North-South Asymmetry of Interplanetary Magnetic Field and Solar Plasma’,Ann. Geophysicae 12, 279–285.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. W. and Bieber, J. W.: 1993, ‘Multiple Spacecraft Survey of the North-South Asymmetry of the Interplanetary Magnetic Field’,J. Geophys. Res. 98, 9401–9415.Google Scholar
- Svalgaard, L. and Wilcox, J. M. 1974, ‘The Spiral Interplanetary Magnetic Field: A Polarity and Sunspot Cycle Variation’,Science 186, 51–53.Google Scholar
- Swinson, D. B., Humble, J. E., Shea, M. A., and Smart, D. F.: 1991, ‘Latitudinal Cosmic Ray Gradients: Their Relation to Solar Activity Asymmetry’,J. Geophys. Res. 96, 1757–1765.Google Scholar