Semi-insulating electrical properties of undoped inp after heat treatment in a phosphorus atmosphere
- 155 Downloads
Nominally undoped InP wafers have been annealed in a phosphorus atmosphere under a pressure of about 5 bar at temperatures of 900 °C for about 80 h. It was found that the electrical properties of the samples changed considerably after this treatment. A room temperature resistivity of up to 2×107Ωcm (semi-insulating behaviour) was obtained in the bulk of the samples. The resistivity finally obtained depends on the starting carrier concentration of the untreated samples. The Hall coefficient and Hall mobility have been measured up to 600 °C. The results can be interpreted in terms of a deep electronic level (EA=0.63 ... 0.65 eV below the conduction band). The Hall coefficient was always found to be negative resulting in a Hall mobility of 1.4 to 4.9×103 cm2/Vs. The highest resistivity in nominally undoped bulk InP so far reported in the literature  was ϱ=3.6 × 105Ωcm. Therefore, this paper demonstrates for the first time that a really semi-insulating behaviour of ϱ>107 Ωcm can be achieved for bulk InP with the purity of nominally undoped material (1015 to 1016cm−3).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.B. Klein, R.L. Henry, T.A. Kennedy, N.D. Wilsey:Defects in Semiconductors, ed. by H.J. v. Bardeleben, Material Science Forum Vol. 10–12, 1259 (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.J. Lagowski, M. Kaminska, J.M. Parsey, H.C. Gatos, W. Walukiewicz: Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser.651, 41 (1982)Google Scholar
- 3.J. Chevrier, M. Armand, A.M. Huber, N.T. Linh: J. Electron. Mat.9, 745 (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.G. Müller: E-MRS Meeting16, 117 (Les Editions de Physique, Paris 1987)Google Scholar
- 5.D. Hofmann, G. Müller: To be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 6.D.L. Rode: Phys. Rev. B3, 3287 (1979)Google Scholar
- 7.O. Mizuno, H. Watanabe: Electron. Lett.11, 118 (1975)Google Scholar
- 8.P. Speier, G. Schemmel, W. Kuebart: Electron. Lett.22, 1216 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.J.K. Rhee, P.K. Bhattacharya: J. Electron. Mat.11, 979 (1982)Google Scholar
- 10.S. Guha, F. Hasegawa: Solid State Electronics20, 27 (1976)Google Scholar
- 11.R.C. Clarke: Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser.45, 19 (1979)Google Scholar
- 12.B. Goldstein: Phys. Rev.121, 1305 (1969)Google Scholar