The cardiovascular effects of nebulized adenosine in man
- 13 Downloads
We have studied the cardiovascular effects of inhaled adenosine in healthy subjects.
Adenosine at a concentration of 5 mg·ml−1 is absorbed and produces an increase in heart rate of 6–7 beats per min, blood pressure and skin temperature being unaltered. The rise in heart rate is less than that seen with an infusion of a comparable dose and is unlikely to be adequate for therapeutic termination of supraventricular tachycardia. Higher doses are limited by the poor solubility of adenosine.
Inhalation as a method of delivering adenosine has possibilities as an alternative route of administration, but some practical problems remain to be overcome.
Key wordsadenosine cardiovascular effects nebulizer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clarke B, Till J, Rowland W, Ward DE, Barnes PJ, Shinebourne EA (1987) Rapid and safe termination of supraventricular tachycardia in children by adenosine. Lancet 1: 299–300Google Scholar
- 2.Lerman BB, Belardinelli L, West A, Berne RM, DiMarco JP (1986) Adenosine sensitive ventricular tachycardia; evidence suggesting cyclic-AMP mediated triggered activity. Circulation 74: 270–280Google Scholar
- 3.Sollevi A, Lagerkranser M, Irestedt L, Gordon E, Lindquist C (1984) Controlled hypotension with adenosine during cerebral aneurysm surgery. Anesthesiology 61: 400–405Google Scholar
- 4.McCormack DG, Clarke B, Barnes PJ (1987) Characterisation of adenosine receptors on human pulmonary arteries. J Physiol 396: 98Google Scholar
- 5.Klabunde RE (1983) Dipyridamole inhibition of adenosine metabolism in human blood. Eur J Pharmacol 93: 21–26Google Scholar
- 6.Holgate ST, Cushley MJ, Mann JS, Hughes P, Church MK (1986) The action of purines on human airways. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther 280: [Suppl] 240–252Google Scholar
- 7.Cushley MJ, Tattersfield AE, Holgate ST (1983) Inhaled adenosine and guanosine on airway resistance in normal and asthmatic subjects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 15: 161–165Google Scholar
- 8.Conradson T-B, Dixon CMS, Clarke B, Barnes PJ (1987) Cardiovascular effects of infused adenosine in man: Potentiation by dipyridamole. Acta Physiol Scand 129: 387–391Google Scholar