Comparison of quazepam, flunitrazepam and placebo as single-dose hypnotics before surgery
The hypnotic effect and tolerance of quazepam (Sch 16134) 15 and 30 mg, flunitrazepam 1 and 2 mg and placebo were evaluated in a one-night, randomized, double-blind, parallel group study of 100 hospitalized patients, who were to undergo a planned operation on the following day. All active drugs were rated as superior to placebo by the physician. Subjectively, quazepam 30 mg and flunitrazepam 1 and 2 mg were superior to placebo. Hangover effects were not distinguishable from placebo. Vigilance and ataxia tests were not altered by any of the drugs.
Key wordsquazepam flunitrazepam hypnotic double-blind study preoperative patients side effects
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bond AJ, Lader MH (1973) The residual effects of flurazepam. Psychopharmacologia 32: 223–235Google Scholar
- 2.Heinzl H (1980) Wirkungsvergleich von Triazolam (Halcion) und Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) in der präoperativen Vorbereitungszeit. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 110: 1745–1748Google Scholar
- 3.Keighley MRB (1980) Evaluation of single-dose hypnotic treatment before elective operation. Br Med J 281 829–831Google Scholar
- 4.Roth T (1979) The effect of a single dose of quazepam (Sch 16134) on the sleep of chronic insomniacs. J Int Med Res 7: 583–587Google Scholar
- 5.Sundaresan PR (1979) Methodology for demonstrating sustained efficacy of hypnotics — comparative study of triazolam and flurazepam. Clin Pharmacol Ther 25: 391–398Google Scholar
- 6.Schwarz MA, Pstma E (1970) Metabolism of flurazepam, a benzodiazepine, in man and dog. J Pharm Sci 59: 1800–1806Google Scholar
- 7.Tietz E (1981) The acute effect of quazepam on the sleep of chronic insomniacs. Drug Res 31: 1683–1966Google Scholar
- 8.Uhthoff HK (1981) A clinical study of quazepam in hospitalized patients with insomnia. J Int Med Res 9: 288–291Google Scholar
- 9.Wickstrøm E, Giercksky KE (1980) Comparative study of zopiclone, a novel hypnotic, and three benzodiazepines. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 17: 93–99Google Scholar
- 10.Wickstrøm E (1974) Double-blind study of flunitrazepam (Ro 5-4200) and Mandrax. Anesthesist 23: 90–93Google Scholar