The anterior choroidal artery syndrome
- 97 Downloads
The distribution of the anterior choroidal artery (AChA) was analysed on coronal, sagittal and axial microangiograms of cadaver brains. On axial sections, the territory of the AChA was confirned to an arcuate zone between the striatum anterolaterally and the thalamus posteromedially. On sagittal sections, fine vessels from the cisternal part of the AChA were seen to extend upwards and somewhat posteriorly into the region of the posterior limb of the internal capsule. On coronal sections, ascending branches of the AChA coursed latcrally and then upwards to penetrate the globus pallidus and the inferior portion of the posterior limb of the internal capsule, apparently terminating at the lateral border of the thalamus. Determining the distribution of this artery on multiplanar sections was helpful for interpreting pathological changes, including infarcts, occurring in this region on multiplanar CT and/or MR images.
Key wordsMicroangiography Anterior choroidal artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Takahashi S, Goto K, Fukasawa H et al (1985) Computed tomography of cerebral infarction along the distribution of the basal perforating arteries. Part. 1: Striate arterial group. Radiology 155: 107–118Google Scholar
- 2.Takahashi S, Goto K, Fukasawa H et al (1985) Computed tomography of cerebral infarction along the distribution of the basal perforating arteries. Part 2: Thalamic arterial group. Radiology 155: 119–130Google Scholar
- 3.Abbie AA, (1933) Clinical significance of the anterior choroidal artery. Brain 56: 233–246Google Scholar
- 4.Abbie AA (1933) The blood supply of the lateral geniculate body with a note on the morphology of the choroidal arteries. J Anat 67: 491–527Google Scholar
- 5.Carpenter MB, Noback CR, Moss ML (1954) The anterior choroidal artery; its origin, course, distribution, and variations. Arch. Neurol Psychiat 71: 714–722Google Scholar
- 6.Herman LH, Ferando OU, Gurdjian ES (1966) The anterior choroidal artery: an anatomical study of its area of distribution. Anat Res 154: 95–102Google Scholar
- 7.Takeshita G, Ottomo M, Sasaki T, Fukuda E (1984) Arterial blood supply to midbrain, thalamus and internal capsule on CT sections: 3. anterior and posterior choroidal arteries. Prog Comput Tomogr 6: 425–429 [Jpn]Google Scholar
- 8.Goldberg HI (1974) The anterior choroidal artery. In: Newton TH, Potts DC, eds. Radiology of the skull and brain. — Angiography. Mosby, St. Louis, pp 1628–1658Google Scholar
- 9.Théron J, Newton TH (1976) Anterior choroidal artery. 1. Anatomic and radiographic study. J Neuroradiol 3: 5–30Google Scholar
- 10.Rhoton AL, Fujii K, Fradd B (1979) Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior choroidal artery. Surg Neurol 12: 171–187Google Scholar
- 11.Percheron G (1977) Les artéres du thalamus humain: les artéres choroïdiennes. Rev Neurol 133: 547–558Google Scholar