Stationary underwater prey missed by reef herons,Egretta gularis: head position and light refraction at the moment of strike
- 37 Downloads
This paper attempts to verify the importance of spatial positioning of the eyes of reef heronsEgretta gularis schistacea, when coping with light refraction at the air-water interface. The herons' striking of prey, while their approach angle was restricted, was observed. (a) The herons' capture success in the restricted situation was markedly lower than in the unrestricted situation. (b) The points of strike (STR) in unsuccessful strikes differed from those of successful strikes, and from those of the unrestricted situation. (c) The larger the difference between the observed and the predicted ratio of prey depth to apparent prey depth, the higher the probability of missing a prey. These results support predictions of a model presented elsewhere (Katzir and Intrator 1987) that a heron will attempt to reach spatial positions at which prey's real depth and apparent depth are linearly correlated.
KeywordsRefraction Spatial Position Head Position Capture Success Apparent Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashkenazi S (1983) Biological and ecological aspects of populations ofNycticorax nycticorax andEgretta garzetta breeding in the Hula reserve and their influence on fish farms in the Hula valley. PhD thesis, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel (in Hebrew)Google Scholar
- Bergmann L, Schaeffer C (1956) Lehrbuch der Experimentalphysik, vol 3. Walter de Gruyter, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Cramp S (Chief editor) (1978) Handbook of the birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. Oxford University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Dill LM (1977) Refraction and the spitting behaviour of the archerfish (Taxotes jaculatrix). Behav Ecol Sociobiol 2:169–184Google Scholar
- Hafner H, Boy V, Gory G (1982). Feeding method, flock size and feeding success in little egrets,Egretta garzetta, and squaco herons,Ardeola ralloides, in Camargue, southern France. Ardea 70:45–54Google Scholar
- Hancock J, Kushlan J (1984) The herons handbook. Croom Helm, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Jenkins FA, White HE (1976) Fundamentals of optics, 2nd edn. McGraw Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Katzir G, Intrator N (1987) Striking of underwater prey by a reef heron,Egretta gularis schistacea. J Comp Physiol A 160:517–723Google Scholar
- Lythgoe JN (1979) The ecology of vision. Clarendon Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Sokal RR, Rholf FJ (1981) Biometry. W.H. Freeman, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Zar JH (1984) Biostatistical analysis. Prentice Hall, NJGoogle Scholar