The effect of small additions of indium and thallium on the corrosion behaviour of aluminium in sea water
- 114 Downloads
The effect of small additons of indium and thallium on the anodic behaviour of high purity aluminium (99.999%; 5N) and the anodic and corrosion behaviour of technical purity aluminium (T) was investigated with the aim of confirming the suitability of these alloys for the protection of steel constructions located in sea water. It has been found that the effects of indium and thallium additions on the anodic behaviour are less explicit in technically pure alloys. The effect of thallium on the anodic behaviour of Al-In alloy can be explained by the presence of indium atoms in this alloy and by the high mutual solid solubility of thallium in indium.
The ternary alloy A1(T)-0.1% In-0.1% Tl is uniformly dissolved in sea water and has a potential of −900 mV (SCE) in the current density region of 1–10 mA cm−2.
KeywordsAluminium Indium High Purity Thallium Solid Solubility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. T. Reding and J. J. Newport,Mater. Prot. December (1966) 15.Google Scholar
- A. R. Despić, D. M. Dražić, M. M. Purenović and N. Ciković,J. Appl. Electrochem. 6 (1976) 527.Google Scholar
- A. R. Despić, D. M. Dražić, A. Mihajlović, B. Jovanović, A. Mance and Zh. Georgiev, International Society of Electrochemistry 29th Meeting, Budapest, 28 August–2 September, 1978, p. 998.Google Scholar
- A. Mance, Proceedings of the XXIV Yugoslavian Conference ETAN, VI Yugoslavian Conference of Materials, Priština, 3–9 June, 1980, p. 261.Google Scholar
- A. Mance, A. Mihajlović and A. R. Despić, Proceedings of the XXII Yugoslavian Conference ETAN, V Yugoslavian Conference on Materials, Zadar, 12–16 June, 1978, p. 61.Google Scholar
- Idem, Proceedings of the VI Yugoslavian Symposium of Electrochemistry, Dubrovnik, June, 1979, p. 437.Google Scholar
- Metals Handbook ASM, 8th Edition, Vol. 8 (1958) p. 312.Google Scholar
- A. Mihajlović, A. R. Despić, D. M. Dražić, O. Nešić and B. Jovanović, Proceedings of the V Yugoslavian Symposium of Electrochemistry, Dubrovnik, 1–4 June, 1977.Google Scholar