Current-time behaviour for copper electrodeposition. I. Theoretical analysis based on a surface diffusion model
- 89 Downloads
The form of the current-time transients for copper electrodeposition from copper sulphate solutions have been calculated based on a surface diffusion model. The transient was greatly affected by whether the ad-species diffusing across the surface was ad-atom Cu0 or ad-ion Cu+, and by the surface coverage by the ad-species. The results imply that it is possible to experimentally test the applicability of the surface diffusion model to copper electrodeposition, to identify the ad-species (Cu0 or Cu+), to estimate the surface coverage and to calculate the parameters related to surface diffusion,D/l2 andi0/c0.
KeywordsCopper Sulphate Physical Chemistry Theoretical Analysis Diffusion Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Fleischmann and H. R. Thirsk,Electrochim. Acta 2 (1960) 22.Google Scholar
- M. Fleischmann and J. A. Harrison,Electrochim. Acta 11 (1966) 749.Google Scholar
- M. Fleischmann, S. K. Rangarajan and H. R. Thirsk,Trans. Faraday Soc. 63 (1967) 1240.Google Scholar
- A. Damjanovic and J. O'M. Bockris,J. Electrochem. Soc. 110 (1963) 1035.Google Scholar
- J. A. Harrison,J. Electroanal. Chem. 18 (1968) 337.Google Scholar
- J. O'M. Bockris and A. Damjanovic, ‘Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry’, Vol. 3 (edited by J. O'M. Bockris and B. E. Conway) Butterworths, London (1964) Ch. 4.Google Scholar
- J. A. Harrison and H. R. Thirsk, ‘Electroanalytical Chemistry’, Vol. 5 (edited by A. J. Bird) Marcel Dekker, New York (1971) Ch. 2.Google Scholar
- J. O'M. Bockris and H. Kita,J. Electrochem. Soc. 109 (1962) 928.Google Scholar
- H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, ‘Conduction of Heat in Solids’, Oxford University Press, London (1959) p. 93.Google Scholar
- E. Mattson and J. O'M. Bockris,Trans. Faraday Soc. 55 (1959) 1586.Google Scholar
- M. Fleischmann, S. K. Rangarajan and H. R. Thirsk,Trans. Faraday Soc. 63 (1967) 1256.Google Scholar