High oxide ion conduction in sintered Bi2O3 containing SrO, CaO or La2O3
- 626 Downloads
Ionic conduction in sintered oxides of the system Bi2O3-SrO was investigated by measuring the conductivity and ion transference number under various conditions. The ion transference numbers were measured by an oxygen concentration cell employing the specimen as the electrolyte.
It was found that the solid solution containing 20≈40 mole% SrO which had a rhombohedral structure was an almost pure oxide ion conductor under a relatively high partial pressure of oxygen, and that the conductivity was several times higher than that of stabilized zirconias at the same temperatures up to 800°C. Oxide ion conduction was confirmed also by quantitative determination of generated O2 from the anode of the oxygen concentration cell during discharge.
The sintered specimens of the systems Bi2O3-CaO and Bi2O3-La2O3 were found also to be oxide ion conductors, and the ion transference numbers were greater than 0.9.
KeywordsOxide Oxygen Zirconia Solid Solution Partial Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. H. Etsell and S. N. Flengas,Chem. Reviews,70 (1970) 339.Google Scholar
- C. Wagner,Naturwiss.,31 (1943) 265.Google Scholar
- F. Hund,Z. Phys Chem.,199 (1952) 142.Google Scholar
- T. Takahashi, H. Iwahara and T. Ichimura,Denki Kagaku,37 (1969) 857.Google Scholar
- T. Takahashi and H. Iwahara,Denki Kagaku,39 (1971) 400.Google Scholar
- T. Takahashi and H. Iwahara,Energy Conversion,11 (1971) 105.Google Scholar
- L. G. Sillén and B. Aurivillius,Z. Krist.,101 (1939) 483.Google Scholar
- A. D. Neuimin, L. D. Yushina, Yu. M. Ovchinnikov and S. F. Palguev, Trans. No. 4 of the Inst. Electrochem. Urals Acad. of Sciences ‘Electrochem. of Molten and Solid Electrolytes’,2 (1964) 92.Google Scholar
- C. Wagner,Z. Phys Chem.,21 (1933) 25.Google Scholar
- C. N. R. Rao, G. V. Subba Rao and S. Ramdas,J. Phys. Chem.,73 (1969) 672.Google Scholar
- T. S. Zolyan and A. R. Regel,Fiz. Tverd. Tela.,5 (1962) 2420.Google Scholar
- M. G. Hapase and V. B. Tare,Indian J. Pure Appl. Phys.,5 (1967) 401.Google Scholar
- R. W. Christy,J. Chem. Phys.,34 (1961) 114.Google Scholar
- T. Takahashi and H. Iwahara,Denki Kagaku,34 (1966) 254.Google Scholar
- [151.E. M. Levin and R. S. Roth,J. Research Natl. Bur. Standards,68A  (1964) 199.Google Scholar
- K. Hauffe and H. Peters,Z. Phys. Chem.,201 (1952) 121.Google Scholar