Incidental discovery of a nonfunctioning islet-cell tumor 8 years after resection of an insulinoma: primary neoplasm or local recurrence?
- 30 Downloads
Two islet-cell tumors with uncommon radiological presentation were detected in a 48-year-old woman within a period of 8 years. Whereas the first tumor was an unusually large malignant insulinoma, the second (or recurrent) tumor was a non-functioning islet-cell tumor. Both tumors were studied~with with ultrasound and computed tomography.
Key wordsIslet-cell tumor Endocrine activity Computed tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eckhauser FE, Cheung PS, Vinik AI, Stroder WE, Lloyd RV, Thompson NW (1986) Nonfunctioning malignant neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. Surgery 100: 978–987Google Scholar
- 2.Fugazzola C, Procacci C, Andreis JAB et al. (1990) The contribution of ultrasonography and computed tomography in the diagnosis of nonfunctioning islet-cell tumors of the pancreas. Gastrointest Radiol 15: 139–144Google Scholar
- 3.Eelkema EA, Stephens DH, Ward EM, Sheedy II PF (1984) CT features of nonfunctioning islet-cell carcinoma. AJR 143: 943–948Google Scholar
- 4.Paivansalo M, Makarainen H, Siniluoto T, Stahlberg M, Jalovaara P (1989) Ultrasound compared with computed tomography and pancreatic arteriography in the detection of endocrine tumors of the pancreas. Eur J Radiol 9: 173–178Google Scholar
- 5.Rossi P, Allison DJ, Bezzi M (1989) Endocrine tumors of the pancreas. Radiol Clin N Am 27: 129–161Google Scholar
- 6.Galiber AK, Reading CC, Charboneau JW et al. (1988) Localisation of pancreatic insulinoma: comparison of pre- and intraoperative US with CT and angiography. Radiology 166: 405–408Google Scholar
- 7.Pavone P, Mitchell DG, Leonetti F et al. (1993) Pancreatic betacell tumors: MRI. J Comput Assist Tomogr 17 (3): 403–407Google Scholar
- 8.Broughan TA, Leslie JD, Soto JM, Hermann RE (1986) Pancreatic islet-cell tumors. Surgery 99: 671–678Google Scholar
- 9.Ohneda A, Otsuki M, Fudjiya H, Yaginuma N, Kokubo T, Ohtani H (1979) A malignant insulinoma transformed into a glucagonoma syndrome. Diabetes 28: 962–969Google Scholar
- 10.Like AA, Orci L (1972) Embryogenesis of the human pancreatic islets: a light and electron microscopic study. Diabetes 21: 511–534Google Scholar
- 11.Schlossnagle DC, Campbell WG (1981) The papillary and solid neoplasm of the pancreas. Cancer 47: 2603–2610Google Scholar